Canon 518/2 with 64t or tri-x?

Eran Solomon

Hey everyone,

So I got this camera's light meter to work (YAY my first fix ! )

Now I have two types of film at reach. one is the 64T and the other is the 200asa Tri-X film.

I was just wondering if anyone know if my camera supports those films and exposes them correctly.

My camera is auto exposure only. its a Canon zoom 518/2.

Here is a picture of the notches in the film cartidge space ::

PICT0001Large.jpg

Thanks in advance !!

I was just wondering if anyone know if my camera supports those films and exposes them correctly.

My camera is auto exposure only. its a Canon zoom 518/2.

Here is a picture of the notches in the film cartidge space ::

Four pins (from picture) is five possible readings - always a plus. Looking at the 518 AZ manual it reads 25-160 tungsten but they don't give the increments.

I'd load the Trix-X (T160) and take a reading and then do the same with the 64. Compensate as necessary.

Every camera made will read a 160 film, so it's worh keeping a dummy cartridge for the sole purpose of calibrating other stocks.

Rick

quick edit: since the camera is auto only, if the 64 reading is off stick with the Tri-X

Edited by Rick Palidwor

I'd load the Trix-X (T160) and take a reading and then do the same with the 64. Compensate as necessary.

Hey Rick, thanks for your reply.

I thgout that a Tri-X film and 64t film give out diffrent readings... so how can I compare them in the camera?

I mean.. thr Tri-X is 200 asa , and the 64t is ... 64 asa.. right?

So how exactly would I compare them ? I mean , how would I know the readings are right for either of them ?

So how exactly would I compare them ? I mean , how would I know the readings are right for either of them ?

Load the TriX, look at something with a some light on it (window frame for e.g.) and note the f-stop that the needle points to. Now load the 64 and point at the same place (make sure light hasn't changed) and note the f-stop reading. You can be confident that the Tri-X reading was accurate. The 64 "should" be about a stop and a half up from that. If that was your reading then the camera understands 64. If not, then not.

Rick

The older Canon 518-2 and the 518, "Detects cartridge notches to set ASA: Tungsten 25, 40, 64, 100, 160 and Daylight 16, 25, 40, 64, 100."

Tri-X is a notchless cartridge.

That means the camera will read 64T accurately, but will only read 200 ASA Tri-X if you cut a filter notch in the cartridge, and keep the filter switch at 'bulb' setting. Otherwise, it will think Tri-X is speed notched for 160-- the highest it will go-- and automatically set the meter to 100D because of the notchless cartridge pushing in the filter pin.

If you cut a filter notch, the camera will think it's a straight 160T film, and read it as ASA 160 without a filter.

The newer 518's will read high speed films at their correct ASA's.

Edited by Jim Carlile