Panaflex 35mm Mag Loading

• Premium Member

Maybe this is just me wanting to be a perfectionist but... I've never gotten a chance to load any of the panavision mags. I can handle just about anything by Arri but I haven't worked on many pana jobs so it just hasn't happened. I'm also not known enough at Panavision to walk in yet...a few check outs etc.

Anyone have suggestions on how to get a mag just to practice with?

Thanx,

marque

What I found out quick on my first Panavision job is it's just name. It still uses the the same stuff to get the same job done, it just looks a little different. In my opinion Panaflex mags are about the easiest mags there are, easier than Arri because you can throw the roll in the mag before you thread the end through the throat. None of that setting the roll on the can while you do your thing stuff. Also, you can think of it as a ArriCam or 435 mag but easier because you don't have to make the loop while loading. The one big thing to remember is it threads in the 99 pattern not 69 like Arri's.

I've never run into a rental house that thought it was strange that people came by to learn how to load mags or gear. Just give them a call and tell them you want to come down and learn a mag or whatever and when would be a good time. They should be more than willing to help you because they don't want you to mess their gear up down the road and because techs love to show people how to use things.

Edited by Alex Worster

• Premium Member

I think panavision would let you come by and give it a go. Just be polite to them by calling ahead and making sure you go when they aren't busy.

In all honesty, they're the easiest mags to load. You don't have to set a loop size, just put fresh film on the left, poke film out the throat and back in the other side, and attach it to a core and give it a few turns. Film makes a 99 rather than arri's 9P.