Questions about 16mm film making

gabor lacza

Hello Everybody,

I am brand new on this forum and to film making as well....I own a JVC HD10U HDV camcorder but looking into owning a film camera as well and looking into some Super16mm Eclairs...My question is that since I dont know much about film making before I invest $2-3000 into a film camera I would like to buy a cheap Krasnogorks-3 16mm camera just to learn and see how to use it.

So my questions are :

1.Is this Krasnogorks-3 16mm camera would be ok for me just to get a taste of film making???

2.I am sure it is not a crystal sync camera but I wont use it for dialogues anyway for now...But I would use it for nature scenes will this be ok ??

3.If the above 2 questions are with an answer yes than I would like to know which are the best film stock to use on a place where there is a lot of sun and beaches...I am travelling to Jamaica and Mexico so these are the places where I will try the camera ....

That is it for now...looking forward for your professional opninion...

By the way after getting used to a film camera I would like to buy an Eclair ACL Super16mm camera for a more serious film making...

Thanks

Gabor Lacza

Hello Everybody,

I am brand new on this forum and to film making as well....I own a JVC HD10U HDV camcorder but looking into owning a film camera as well and looking into some Super16mm Eclairs...My question is that since I dont know much about film making before I invest $2-3000 into a film camera I would like to buy a cheap Krasnogorks-3 16mm camera just to learn and see how to use it.

So my questions are :

1.Is this Krasnogorks-3 16mm camera would be ok for me just to get a taste of film making???

2.I am sure it is not a crystal sync camera but I wont use it for dialogues anyway for now...But I would use it for nature scenes will this be ok ??

3.If the above 2 questions are with an answer yes than I would like to know which are the best film stock to use on a place where there is a lot of sun and beaches...I am travelling to Jamaica and Mexico so these are the places where I will try the camera ....

That is it for now...looking forward for your professional opninion...

By the way after getting used to a film camera I would like to buy an Eclair ACL Super16mm camera for a more serious film making...

Thanks

Gabor Lacza

Hi, I'm somewhat new to 16mm myself but I've shot in Super 8 and Standard for close to 10 years now. From what I know about 16mm I'd say the easiest thing to do would be to just pick up a $10-$30 16mm camera on ebay to get a feel for it. The most it's going to have is a crank, paralax view (usually), film meter, light meter. From my experience with shopping for 16mm if you want sound or a motorized camera you really have to go professional. Super 8 seems to offer a lot more variety for amateurs, you can get a throw away camera on Super 8 that still is sound, 16mm seems to be mostly dedicated to the professional demographic. And as far as the Krasnogorks-3 goes, I have never handeled one of those so can't help ya there.

Regards,

Ernie Zahn

Bonnut Film Studio

You could actually get crystal sync motor for the k3, if you wanted to spend more than you paid for the camera. It can also be converted to s16 for around $200.

Its better to spend a couple hundred bucks to learn the basics then to spend the big bucks buying or renting a camera to learn the craft.

This topic has come up a lot in the past, which may be the reason people are not responding to this post. <_<

Search the archives. :)