Tri-level Sync with JVC GY-HD250U?

Doug Dunderdale

I'm about to start a multi-camera shoot using 3 JVC GY-HD250U's and a Varicam. We are also doing a simultaneous multitrack audio recording (I'm the sound recordist). I know the Varicam requires tri-level sync for timecode and genlock, but what about the 250U's? Tri-level sync or standard def sync?

• Premium Member
I'm about to start a multi-camera shoot using 3 JVC GY-HD250U's and a Varicam. We are also doing a simultaneous multitrack audio recording (I'm the sound recordist). I know the Varicam requires tri-level sync for timecode and genlock, but what about the 250U's? Tri-level sync or standard def sync?

All professional video cameras that have genlock capability need to have both genlock and time code connections all the time per camera for proper sync even though a lot of folks think yo only need a TC cable between both. The JVC HD250 is no different. The HD 250 does allow single cable slave with two cameras via IEEE but only in DV mode and not in HDV mode. You can use tri-sync or simple genlock to lock them. In your case you will be inputing your tri-sync via genlock and TC via the TC port. Set the [GENLOCK/AUX IN] switch to GENLOCK. Set the [PBPR/TC] switch to TC. Set TCG SOURCE in the TC/UB/CLOCK menu screen to EXTERNAL. Set the LCD screen or viewfinder to STATUS 1 screen display. Also note that when you have external sync connected to this camera and you first power on the camera on the picture will jump for a few seconds while the computer does it's thing so don't be scared when the screen goes haywire.