Film industry collapse (not again)

Lars Zemskih

So I was reading the interview with P.T. Anderson and Johnny Greenwood about scoring of "There Will Be Blood" here. And they of course discussed the release of "In Rainbows" and this is what PT said:

But movies aren't far behind [music] in falling apart ? I mean, the business itself.

We already know that the music videos budgets have been decreasing very rapidly.

But how long do you think we are from being unemployed and big directors releasing films on their websites?

I know this has been discussed extensively here. But it is still confusing to me, because every years the budgets of Hollywood films (for example) are still going up, every time there is the next most expensive movie. Which means that movie still keep on making money no matter what (talking about big budgets here of course). I understand of course when making Spider-Man a lot of the money is coming back in the form of merchandise sales for example.

But I don't know, I'm very optimistic generally so I think the film industry is pretty far from collapsing in the same way as music industry. But it is hard to argue with PT Anderson.