DSR-450 and "electronic soft focus" in 25p

Sidat de Silva

I'm looking at shooting with the Sony DSR-450WSP in 25p mode, in interior sets with controlled lighting.

I've shot 50i with this camera many times before, but for news and doco and didn't change any look settings.

I've had fantastic results with the DVW-970P (DigiBeta) shooting 25p with settings adjusted for the most organic look. I used the Canon CineZoom lenses and dialed sharpening down to almost off. I set gamma, black level, and knee settings for low-contrast results as well.

My plan is to try doing the same with the 450, including using an HD lens (if not a CineZoom, an ENG HD zoom). I've read about the electronic soft focus feature -- I can't remember an equivalent on the 970. Any experience with this? How did you use it with the sharpening/detail enhancement setting?

On another note... anyone willing to hire out a DSR-450 in Sydney? Most of the gear houses seem to have theirs out on jobs!

Sid.

• 3 weeks later...
I'm looking at shooting with the Sony DSR-450WSP in 25p mode, in interior sets with controlled lighting.

I've shot 50i with this camera many times before, but for news and doco and didn't change any look settings.

I've had fantastic results with the DVW-970P (DigiBeta) shooting 25p with settings adjusted for the most organic look. I used the Canon CineZoom lenses and dialed sharpening down to almost off. I set gamma, black level, and knee settings for low-contrast results as well.

My plan is to try doing the same with the 450, including using an HD lens (if not a CineZoom, an ENG HD zoom). I've read about the electronic soft focus feature -- I can't remember an equivalent on the 970. Any experience with this? How did you use it with the sharpening/detail enhancement setting?

On another note... anyone willing to hire out a DSR-450 in Sydney? Most of the gear houses seem to have theirs out on jobs!

Sid.

Do yourself a huge favour and do all of this in post using a better camera. I like the 450 but its still DVCAM, get something that will shoot dvc pro 50.

The gaussian blur tool in after effects will probably give you a better look. Keep your footage well exposed and in focus, the beauty of video is what you can do in post - if your rushes are scrap your screwed later down the line.

Dave

• 1 month later...