Understanding the Som Berthiot Cinor and Lytar

Guest Billy Furnett

Guest Buddy Greenfield

I'm a little... I am A LOT confused about the red center row of F stop numbers on my Som Berthiot Cinor and Lytar lenses.

If someone would be so kind as to please explain exactally what this indicates and/or how is it employed in conjunction with the F stop and DOF indications, I would be most greatful.

Thank you. :)

Guest Buddy Greenfield

Mike, (Or anyone)

I appreciate the answer and I might understand it, but can you (Or someone) please confirm or deny my take on it?

So for example, if I need my F stop to be 5.6 and set it to 5.6, then determine that my subject is say 6 feet away and set the focus ring to 6 feet, then because roughly 5 feet to roughly 13 feet on the distance ring is what lines up/falls between the two red 5.6's, that depth (Between 5 and 13 feet) will be in focus?

Thanks.

• Premium Member
So for example, if I need my F stop to be 5.6 and set it to 5.6, then determine that my subject is say 6 feet away and set the focus ring to 6 feet, then because roughly 5 feet to roughly 13 feet on the distance ring is what lines up/falls between the two red 5.6's, that depth (Between 5 and 13 feet) will be in focus?

You've got the idea.

DOF is based on the len's Circle of Confusion, the smallest area on the film that will be recorded (resolved) by that lens. Therefore DOF scales are always based somewhat on someone's technical opinion. What that means is you shouldn't assume that the edges of the marked DOF zone are going to be in focus to your eye's preference - they will be close however on a professional lens.

Guest Buddy Greenfield

Hal,

Thanks for your thoughts and confirmation on this.

Coincidentally, my whole interaction with Bolexdom has been based on a circle of confusion. :P

Seriously though, I have read some about that circle, but I appreciate your thoughts on it as well.

I suppose I can see why the depth of field process is part of the bigger picture, as obviously our eyes are a lot better than the lens, but where I still have a bit of confusion is... If by sight through the finder my subject is at least focused, then will it be in focus on film?

Thank you guys

Edited by Buddy Greenfield

• Premium Member
............ then will it be in focus on film?

In theory yes, in practice you're looking at a very small image that could easily be blown up to 20' wide or so (even with 16mm). It's always best to measure with a tape and set the distance on the lens whenever possible. Experienced AC's get pretty good at judging distances by eye but they trained their eye initially by taping everything.