Blown Out Windows

I'm going to warn you, this may be a dumb question.

Every time I shoot something on miniDV, or even when I'm working on beta, there seems to be no way to get the windows from being so blown out. I just don't have that much light to put inside.

What are some ways of counteracting this, or dealling with it. I've heard of people 'treating' the windows somehow. What does that consist of?

Thanks,

Tim.

I'm going to warn you, this may be a dumb question.

Every time I shoot something on miniDV, or even when I'm working on beta, there seems to be no way to get the windows from being so blown out. I just don't have that much light to put inside.

What are some ways of counteracting this, or dealling with it. I've heard of people 'treating' the windows somehow. What does that consist of?

Thanks,

Tim.

"Treating" can consist of several options to affect the light spilling within the window. Some common methods of treating windows are to use ND gels on the inside or outside of the window (depending on how much detail you will see), or to stretch a net on a frame or simply rig a 4x4 or 2x3 net on a stand outside of the window. If you don't have the luxury of these tools, see if you can use shears or adjust the existing blind to a level that's tolerable.

• Premium Member

You can put ND (Neutral Density) gel on windows to cut down light transmission. It is available in different densities, where every .3 equals a one stop reduction of light. You might start off with ND.6 (two stop reduction).

I'm going to take this opportunity to clarify once again, that "latitude" does not refer to the range of brightness an imaging system can capture. Latitude is the amount an image can be over- or under-exposed and corrected back to normal brightness with acceptable results.