New Site and Reel

Andrew White

• Premium Member

I think the quality is fine. If you go with too little compression you run the risk of people leaving before it's even loaded. It's a complaint I got with the first couple iterations of my reel.

Like David said, perhaps a bit long though there is a lot of nice material in there. A few things that you should maybe look at again. The shot near the beginning with the two old men playing checkers against the hot window could use some contrast correction to help the blacks. It really sticks out from your other material which is very nice and clean with rich blacks.

Mr. Mullen - thank you for the response. I agree that it is too long but, I guess I just didn't know how to cut the song short of its actual ending...maybe a new song...

Chris - as far as the shot in front of the window, the blacks were intentionally not crushed to true black because it was a flashback and I wanted it very low in contrast and milky. Also it was pulled a few stops, adding to the effect. I view it as a creative choice, but do you think that it distracts in a bad way and should be removed?

Greg- which shots are you specifically referring to? The stuff with the blue tint was shot intentionally uncorrected, but it did vary slightly in the down-rezzing process....

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Andrew

Mr. Mullen - thank you for the response. I agree that it is too long but, I guess I just didn't know how to cut the song short of its actual ending...maybe a new song...

Chris - as far as the shot in front of the window, the blacks were intentionally not crushed to true black because it was a flashback and I wanted it very low in contrast and milky. Also it was pulled a few stops, adding to the effect. I view it as a creative choice, but do you think that it distracts in a bad way and should be removed?

Greg- which shots are you specifically referring to? The stuff with the blue tint was shot intentionally uncorrected, but it did vary slightly in the down-rezzing process....

Thanks to everyone who commented.

Andrew

Hey andrew. The reel is too long, and the pacing is much too slow. Don't worry about your song not finishing in time, this is about your footage.

• Premium Member

Yea Andrew, I think you have an issue of timing. Many times it only takes a second or two to do the same thing as a ten second shot. It's about images and images need not tell a story here. I know sometimes we love what we do so much that we want it all, but for those of us who see it all out of context, I find it best to take the best and let that be the story of colors and movement. I had a few minutes to play with your stuff. I edited the music in a few spots to get the overall time down and then mixed around a few shots to an order that I think conveys images cleaner. Just remember, if you give folks an image for too long they see it all, if you give them less they want more. Hope this inspires you!

http://www.bluesky-web.com/new-version.mov

PS, your name here and your name on your reel are not the same. Are you not uysing your real name here?

Hey Walter,

Thank you for taking the time to do that, and for your insight. You have provided me with a few ideas on how to cut it differently and I agree that I could afford to lose a few seconds off most of the shots.

Also, my name is Andrew White, which is the name on my reel....maybe you are referring to the site name which is a combination of finding a domain name that was not taken, but close to my real name, and a nod to my Italian heritage on my mother's side.

Andrew

• 2 months later...

Hey, I liked the beginning to mid of the reel. After the middle you started to repeat the same projects as earlier...which breaks the visual narrative that you had created. What I was watching was short scenes put together, which looked pretty good. I felt that some compositions were too tight and could have pulled out to show a bit more, but I did enjoy most of your coverage and moving work.

Don't let the song dictate how long your reel should be. If you hit people hard and then die off towards the middle, it's the same feeling the get when they are at the movies; let down.

there is nothing wrong with a 1 minute narrative reel.

Good work.