HVX200 to film. pls. advise

Bassem Fayad

• Premium Member
Clearly, you don't know what we're talking about with all this "Sony" stuff. Panasonic DOES NOT use the Sony method on encoding 24P into a 1080i stream and if you used the terminology"1080p24/Sf" or "1080p25/Sf" you would truly confuse the post production people trying to work with the footage you shot with a PANASONIC CAMERA. I resent being talked down to by someone who clearly doesn't know a thing about how Panasonic's DVCProHD cameras produce their high def footage.

Kenn, I apologise. This being strictly about the HVX200, you were right, I was wrong.

Everywhere else in digital motion imaging, though, i's and p's don't mix.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member

It's probably a pain in the neck but like so many people post lens comparison tests on this sight and others, would someone like to post a comparison of the HVX's 720P performance next to it's 1080i?

Would you be able to see the difference on an LCD monitor? Maybe it could be posted in HD on Vimeo.com?

I know I'd be interested in a side by side comparison, seems there's so much conjecture.

Dear All .

I have come a a conclusion.

The camera has a chip which only records 1280x720 pixels in progressive scan. The 1080i image is produced by calculation inside the camera. This setting was probably created mainly for news people who need to deliver 1080i directly. For a film out it makes more sense to record in 720p/25p as this represents the original quality and therefore the strength of the camera.

do you agree ?

• Premium Member
The camera has a chip which only records 1280x720 pixels in progressive scan. The 1080i image is produced by calculation inside the camera.

IIRC, this is a three chip camera, with chips that have 960 x 540 photosites. So, both 720p and 1080i would be the result of calculations done by the camera.

-- J.S.

Dear All .

The camera has a chip which only records 1280x720 pixels in progressive scan. The 1080i image is produced by calculation inside the camera. This setting was probably created mainly for news people who need to deliver 1080i directly. For a film out it makes more sense to record in 720p/25p as this represents the original quality and therefore the strength of the camera.

do you agree ?

Disagree. 1080 is the way to go. The image is really a little bit sharper and has less compression than the 720p image. Just go out and test it for yourself, it is a fact and arguing about technical specs etc. doesn't change anything about it...

Dear All .

do you agree ?

For the benefit of those here who are not following the same discussion over on DVXUser.

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showpost.php?p=1...mp;postcount=27

Apparently the 'native' resolution for the camera is 1080. Note, not the actual chip size, rather the resolution at which the dsp works.

Yes/No anyone?

• Premium Member

Man, I don't know what you're talking about regarding confusion and misinformation on the topic.... :rolleyes:

I've shot both 720 and 1080 with the HVX and find 1080 noticeably sharper and richer. Just means you need more drives on set.

• 8 months later...

hey friends

sorry it took some time for the test results to come out .

after shooting with both 720NP AND 1080i/25p modes , and printing out to film with both Arri laser and CRT , i can say that 1080i/25p is slightly better ...

we should be shooting in one month .

thank you all , c u later .

much love and peace