Eternal Sunshine of the spotless mind

During the scene where Joel (Jim Carrey) is revisiting a memory of being a child playing underneath the kitchen table, he appears to be the height of a four year old. I heard this was a trick done within the camera, but I have not found an adequate explanation for this perspective shift. Any thoughts?

• Premium Member
During the scene where Joel (Jim Carrey) is revisiting a memory of being a child playing underneath the kitchen table, he appears to be the height of a four year old. I heard this was a trick done within the camera, but I have not found an adequate explanation for this perspective shift. Any thoughts?

They did build some enlarged set pieces though I don't recall that specific shot well-enough to describe how it was shot.

You can also do forced perspective tricks to make someone look smaller, by putting them in the background but making it look like they are the midground or foreground and using enough depth of field to hold the planes in focus. The classic example is the photo that looks like you're holding your friend in the palm of your hand.