matte box support

Tavin Charapitak

Hi all,

I'm planing to machine a 15mm rod support system so that I can mount industry standard matte box and follow focus system

on my S16 Eclair NPR. My question is does all matte box and follow focus system using 15mm rod have the same specification?

Meaning does the distance between the two rods the same? And if I was to build one base on Cavision matte box can it also be use with other brands like Arri, Chroszeil, Petroff, etc??? And what is good size matte box/filter for Super 16?

I hope this make sense?

Thank you everyone and Happy New Year ;)

I think what you're using is the 15mm rods with 60mm of space between them. That size is standard for 16 and the smaller HD & DV cameras. It is a one size fits all from that standpoint. The follow focus gears however are different pitches depending on the lenses and rings you're using. You're in luck in that you haven't bought one yet. Redrock Micro just came out with a mattebox with stackable rotating filters. You can add up to 4 rotating trays. It's a hard matte design similar to Chrosziels but at less than half the price.

I own a Chrosziel 450-10 and I love it but I'm constantly needing to tape filters to the front because I only have 2 trays and only one rotates. I knew this would be a problem but no one made more than 2 filter trays for a smaller HVX mattebox. The only 2plus tray alternative when I bought it would have been a swing away version costing up to $6000. Finally Redrock filled this gap. If they're of any quality, I'll sell my chrosziel. On the other hand, if they're anything like Cavisions gear, it will be a complete waste of money. I've returned 2 Cavision matteboxes because they're constructed very poorly. At least, the affordable ones are.

• Premium Member
That's 60 mm of space between the center of each rod. But double check that to be safe.

This is correct. 15mm diameter rods spaced 60mm center-to-center. For super 16 4x5 filters are pretty usual. Sometimes 4x4 but those won't work with some very wide lenses.