What to do in highschool or where to begin.....

AlexKim

Hi! I am in highschool, our school doesn't offer any sort of electives that have to do with cinematography, scripting, directing, etc...I want to work in the movie industry some day and i have no idea on where to start. I was hoping I could start with learning cinematography. When and where did you all learn about cinematography....also are there any other websites that is very recourseful?

-thanks

You might want to research your school district a bit more. The situation in my high school was that at my school they offered an A/V, Filmmaking, Broadcast class that any student in the district could enroll in. Just as there was a Radio Broadcast course at another school that I had the opportunity to enroll in as well.

I got into cinematography basically by taking a class in community college, then making one or two new friends who were also interested in production and just working with them while doing my own learning in the meantime thru research.

Those are just the beginnings, as you move along and continue to try and gain more and more experience, you'll start meeting the right people and the projects you work on will only get higher and higher in production value and educational value.

Most High schools don't offer much in the way of film education. The equipment is too expensive. It's really something to study in college. In the meantime, read these forums and get a subscription to American Cinematographer. It has a lot of ads for good books on the subject of filmmaking. Also, pick up Christine Vachons book- Shoot to Kill.

Hi! I am in highschool, our school doesn't offer any sort of electives that have to do with cinematography, scripting, directing, etc...I want to work in the movie industry some day and i have no idea on where to start. I was hoping I could start with learning cinematography. When and where did you all learn about cinematography....also are there any other websites that is very recourseful?

-thanks

Websites? Yes. Go to www.whatireallywanttodo.com and click on the FILMSCHOOLS link and the RESOURCES link.

If I were you (and I used to be in that position a few years ago :) ) I'd start by making my own short films. We didn't really have access to quality video cameras and the home computer editing that you have now so the technology itself shouldn't be a obstacle or a particular challenge. Study the films you really enjoy and pay attention to the way they are shot and edited. Also find the screenplays that go with those films and study them for story, character and dialogue. If writing is your talent or you'd like it to be, make the time to write something every day. Start with short subjects (around 15 minutes) and work your way up to feature length. If you eventually want to direct, writing is a great avenue to get there.

Go through those resources on the pages I referred to above and look for the sites, the programs, and the books that specifically catch your eye. Take what you learn there and apply it to your own work.

Make the time to volunteer at nights and on weekends (and during the summers) as an intern at a local production company or news affiliate where they'll let you observe and/or help carry equipment. Watch and learn. Try to volunteer for different people at different companies to get a good sample of how different productions work. Also look for the nearest university filmschool and volunteer to work on the student films being made there.

The more you do and the more people you meet, the more applicable the information in the books will be. And since you're starting early by asking these questions, it gives you more time to build experience and network with other people who can help you later on when you are ready to make higher quality projects no matter what job you end up specializing in.

If I'd known I was getting into this racket I'd have taken Metal Shop class back in High School, but how could I have guessed I'd be in a craft where one needs to attach strange things to other things even if they weren't quite intended to be attached in the first place...... :blink:

-Sam

If I'd known I was getting into this racket I'd have taken Metal Shop class back in High School, but how could I have guessed I'd be in a craft where one needs to attach strange things to other things even if they weren't quite intended to be attached in the first place...... :blink:

-Sam

I wish I had the patent for Velcro! :lol: