FDW-530... HVX-like film look?

Vincent Biron

Hi everyone!

I just landed a pretty big gig to shoot a 10-ep series for a french-canadian network.

It's comedic fiction, and the director really wanted to shoot with his HVX and Brevis, which I totally agreed on since I'm getting pretty used to those 35mm adapters...

The thing is...

The network really doesn't care for P2, as their workflow is already set on XDCAM, and they're forcing me to shoot with Sony's FDW-530. Now, I'm trying to convince them to buy the Pulldown board, so at least we'll shoot 24P, but I was wondering if there is any kind of Cine-like gamma setting on board this camera, or if I will have to set the film-look in post.

Also, has anyone shot fiction with these cameras? I know I'll probably have to go for a "Verité" aesthetic, but any advice would be welcome...

Thanks!

Vincent

Edited by Vincent Biron

• Premium Member

All the info you need about the camera's features are at the Sony website: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusin...dcam_hd_systems . I haven't tried them, but there are several preset "film" gamma tables in addition to the usual manual adjustments.

If you're shooting with a verité look then regular ENG lenses should work fine. If the show is structured with a more dramatic/film-style of coverage, then you might want cine-style lenses for more accurate focus pulling and minimal lens breathing.

Thanks guys for you input!

Michael, when you talk about cine-style lenses, what models would be appropriate?

What kind of mount is there on this camera?

Would I be able to get shallower depth of field that way?

Thanks again,

Vincent

All the info you need about the camera's features are at the Sony website: http://bssc.sel.sony.com/BroadcastandBusin...dcam_hd_systems . I haven't tried them, but there are several preset "film" gamma tables in addition to the usual manual adjustments.

If you're shooting with a verité look then regular ENG lenses should work fine. If the show is structured with a more dramatic/film-style of coverage, then you might want cine-style lenses for more accurate focus pulling and minimal lens breathing.

• Premium Member

All the major video lens companies make cine-style HD lenses. Zeiss lenses are excellent and probably the most expensive, but the Canons and Fujinons are good also. You'll have to decide for yourself which models best suit your needs.

The depth of field is the same as any other 2/3" video lens, although many of them are optimized to perform well at their widest apertures, for the shallowest possible depth of field.