Help From All Cinematographers What Do You Need

Alex Saunders

• Premium Member

I don't think a 3-sensor prism block design is going to work very well when you talk about 35mm-sized sensors, because of the size and the limitations for the flange depth of the lenses, because the point would be to use normal 35mm optics.

Don't know if 4K is even possible on 2/3" sensors on a prism block unless you go for the 4-sensor design of the Olympus camera.

So that sort of leaves a single 35mm sensor with a Bayer pattern, ala RED, Arri D20, Dalsa, Phantom HD. Then the question becomes if 4K Bayer-filtered sensor is "good enough" to generate a decent 4K RBG image that competes with 35mm color negative, even if technically it's more like 3K or 3.5K, whatever.

Personally, it seems so, so I don't think it needs to be a 6K Bayer sensor just to get 4K RGB, especially if that creates more problems with noise, sensitivity, or higher frame rates.

So the RED and Dalsa sensor is probably close to what you'd want. Maybe 16-bit (Dalsa) instead of 12-bit (RED) would be a good idea assuming you can deal with the data recording requirements, but I also think that something like REDCODE and Cineform compression does a lot to make these levels of data more realistically manageable for on set recording, though an uncompressed option would be nice.

Also an internal 4K RAW conversion to 4:4:4 1080P for dual-link HD-SDI out would be nice.

As for whether to go for a spinning mirror optical viewfinder, which is nice, opinion is so split down the middle on that one I'd almost like to see both options, two different camera designs.

4K RAW up to 60 fps would be good.

Sometime in the size and shape of an Arri 235 or 416 would be nice.

• Premium Member
I don't think a 3-sensor prism block design is going to work very well when you talk about 35mm-sized sensors, because of the size and the limitations for the flange depth of the lenses, because the point would be to use normal 35mm optics.

That seems to be the problem with the Lockheed-Martin "Blue Herring" camera:

http://www.allbusiness.com/services/motion.../4860211-1.html

IIRC, its chips are close to Imax size.

-- J.S.