I Could Use Some Advice

I'm new to this forum so bear with me.

I'm trying to set a path for myself to get into the film industry as a DOP. I would really appreciate any advice or stories.

I am currently a freshman in college at Ball State University, which has a great program in telecommunications, but I can tell that I will not get what I need to be ready for the film industry.

I have looked into film schools that I may transfer too. But I am also talking to my few contacts in LA about internships. I think that working any small job, just to see for my self how everything is really ran, would help me a ton. And I am always looking for ways to meet more filmmakers.

Have any of you heard anything about the Colorado Film School and Columbia in Chicago? They sound good to me, but I haven't heard much about their programs from the students and professors.

My basic question for all of you is this: should I really work on transferring to a film school, or use what I have at BSU and get everything else I need another way?

Thanks!

-Rick

I went to the colorado film school. What I liked about it was that the classes were very hands on. Meaning that I was handed a camera in my 1st class and made a movie. Another great thing is that it doesn't cost a ridiculous amount of money to go. I have friends that spent a lot more money on school and are trying to hustle but with almost 200k in student loans. I work in LA as a camera assistant and though film school was fun you don't walk out as a dp; so be prepared to PA and move to a real city asap. I wasted 2 years trying to make it in Denver.

wish you the best of luck,

Erik Gunnar Mortensen

Camera Assistant

LA CA