Cloverfield

• 2 weeks later...

I thought this movie was great.

The handheld POV didn't bother me one bit, honestly I was 10x more sick to my stomach watching the Bourne Ultimatum. The camera work does a superb job of selling the frantic, confused mood of the main characters. My eyes didn't leave the screen once, I was pretty terrified the whole time.

**SEMI-SPOILER**

I don't care what the majority of people think, but I loved the ending I thought it was perfect. That's all I'll say.

I just saw the film and really enjoyed it! The New York Times review was pretty harsh so I was prepared for the worst, but I was happily surprised and entertained. At times I found myself wanting to get out of the first person POV camera and into a more conventional filming style, but those moments didn't last long. I agree with Christian in that I could take more of this shaking camera than the Bourne or 24 style filming. There's also a very interesting use of color in the film. There are several instances when color is completely opposite of what would be natural, for instance I believe in the subway station the fluorescent tubes are of some metallic orange color. I really liked the use of light towards the end of the film, I dont' want to spoil anything but for those of you who've seen it I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

I was also curious, and maybe someone on here knows, about what camera they were shooting on and how the operator(s) worked with the actor who was supposed to be holding the camera. There was a degree of operating and zooming that went beyond belief as a DP, although I'm sure the majority of the audience was unbothered.

The effects were also completely seamless which is one of its selling points, but they really did a good job with it. Anyone know how they went about the process? I know that the street scenes were filmed on location but there were a few scenes here and there that made me wonder if they had done it in a studio just because the actors were completely surrounded by effects.

• 1 month later...

Does anybody know how and if the AC's pulled focus on the hvx200 on all the hand held shots? From what I have read I don't think there was any kind of mini35 system attached to the camera.

Did they just attach a follow focus and tape out the lens?

thanks for any info.

cjk