Indifocus Follow Focus

I just bought the new Indifocus follow focus unit and I tried it and it feels a bit wobbly and not smooth at all. Is that normal? I have only used follow focus for 16mm and 35mm cameras.

I hope I don't have to send it back to the US. I'm in London. I was going to use it for my up coming film. Any help greatly appreciated. Maybe I´m doing something wrong. Fingers crossed.

Cheers,

Ívan

The indifocus is what it is, an el chepo piece of ...uh, sub standard gear. I would never consider using one for a serious shot. I would never consider using one at all to be honest. Get the Redrock one which I hear is pretty solid, probably the best of all cheap ones. That's as low as you can go andstill expect any quality.

I hope for you indiefocus has a good return policy.

...Is it weird that I don't understand what's wrong with just RENTING a follow focus? I feel like if I bought one, I'd hardly use it...I think I've only had maybe TWO jobs since I started ACing, where there was no follow focus.

That being said, I also don't understand people who don't USE the follow focus. I was talking to a cinematography professor recently who advises his students against it and I had to bite my tongue because to me, pulling off the lens is awkward and if anything, less accurate than being able to use a fine-tip dry-erase on the marking disk or whatever.

:shrug: Just saying...

• Premium Member

Not to mention that the plane of rotation on the barrel is much more prone to affecting the operator than the plane of rotation of a follow focus. Nobody wants to be the one to screw up the operation on an otherwise good take.

Yeah. I worked this crappy Aaton job where I had to pull off the lens and it was mostly handheld...so it was ridiculous. Thank god for skinny arms. I feel like the follow focus has the potential to be MORE accurate as long as you aren't making these big fat marks on the disk.

• Premium Member
Yeah. I worked this crappy Aaton job where I had to pull off the lens and it was mostly handheld...so it was ridiculous. Thank god for skinny arms. I feel like the follow focus has the potential to be MORE accurate as long as you aren't making these big fat marks on the disk.

Absolutely, and as long as it's a good one with no play or lashback. You can often see the FF a lot better than you can see the barrel of the lens.