Carl Brighton, Jim Murdoch? What is this about?

Guest Glen Alexander

• Premium Member
Most C-mount lenses are designed for 2/3" not 1".

Actually, most C-mount lenses were designed for regular 16mm film, which is larger than 2/3" video. The camera aperture is 0.404" x 0.295". They're also designed to make an image directly on the film rather than through a prism block.

Edit: Figuring out from your numbers for 1" video, I get 0.559" x 0.315", so probably most C lenses won't make a big enough image. Nikon F mount lenses will cover, but may be too far the other way. They make such a big image that wide angles will be a problem.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
The 1" CCD is a marketing term, as the sensor is bigger than 2/3" but less than a 1" but "close" enough.

Actually, all these nominal video dimensions come not from marketing, but from history. Back in the tube camera days, 1" or 2/3", etc, were the actual outside diameters of the tubes. The images, of course, had to be smaller than that.

-- J.S.

Guest Glen Alexander
Actually, all these nominal video dimensions come not from marketing, but from history. Back in the tube camera days, 1" or 2/3", etc, were the actual outside diameters of the tubes. The images, of course, had to be smaller than that.

-- J.S.

Way off topic, but mentioning good old tubes. I had a set of Klipsch Cornwall II's and Heresy II's that sounded so much better with a good set of 10W tubes than a modern 150W Yamaha Receiver with Dolby, DTS,THX that does everything but scratch your nuts Of course, I could never get past 2W without someone complaining.... from across the street ha ha.