film stocks and bleach bypass test for a short

Scottie Mei

Hi,

i have a short film project coming up and would like to do a film stock plus beach bypass test for the opening scene which takes place around a desert route in Palmdale,California.

I am trying to achieve a slightly low con and desaturated look( as Oliver Twist), and planning to do a full bleach bypass on neg to achieve the desaturated look, but I am worried the bleach bypass will increase the contrast especially it is a day exterior scene so I am testing the 7229 and 7219 to see if the low con stock will help cancel the increased contrast with bleach bypass(i know 500ASA for day exterior might be crazy, but I really like to see how the low con expression stock will look like), and I am also gonna test out with underexposing the neg by 1 stop and print back up(rated at 2000ASA, 1 stop for the bleach bypass compensation) and puling 1 stop(rated at 500ASA and pull 1 stop). am I hitting the right direction?? any ideas or comment would be apreciated. thanks.

best

Scott

sorry if I confused any of you with my question. here is the test list I want to do. hope it will help to understand my question. thanks.

7219 v.s 7229

rated at 1000 ASA,full bleach bypass on neg

rated at 500 ASA, full bleach bypass, pull 1 stop

rated at 500 ASA,full bleach bypass on neg,pull 2 stops and print back up

rated at 2000 ASA,full bleach bypass and print back up

thanks!

what up scottie,

I tested a similar effect for my AFI thesis on the 5229 (combining a skip bleach and a pull)...I found that the 29, already a lower color sat. stock, combined with the skip bleach on the neg. took the life out of my lead actresses skin tone, so I decided against the pull process and used more fill on set to decrease the contrast. Generally with a skip bleach on the neg, your film speed will increase about 2/3 a stop (I guess that's subjective, but from the tests I did, I found that my "normal" for skip bleach was overexposed)... definitely underexposing the film more than this will help with decreasing contrast when you print up. Have you considered flashing the film at all? depending on your taste, you can pre or post flash the film, depending on whether you'd rather effect the shadows or highlights more. There's a great article in AC about Darius Khondji's approach to the photocheical work on Seven (how he combined flashing with an ACE to soften the contrast increase on the print... I know it's a bit different than a skip on the neg., but still a similar idea)

Let me know how things go man.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

what up scottie,

I tested a similar effect for my AFI thesis on the 5229 (combining a skip bleach and a pull)...I found that the 29, already a lower color sat. stock, combined with the skip bleach on the neg. took the life out of my lead actresses skin tone, so I decided against the pull process and used more fill on set to decrease the contrast. Generally with a skip bleach on the neg, your film speed will increase about 2/3 a stop (I guess that's subjective, but from the tests I did, I found that my "normal" for skip bleach was overexposed)... definitely underexposing the film more than this will help with decreasing contrast when you print up. Have you considered flashing the film at all? depending on your taste, you can pre or post flash the film, depending on whether you'd rather effect the shadows or highlights more. There's a great article in AC about Darius Khondji's approach to the photocheical work on Seven (how he combined flashing with an ACE to soften the contrast increase on the print... I know it's a bit different than a skip on the neg., but still a similar idea)

Let me know how things go man.

Bobby Shore

DP

LA/Montreal

hey Bobby, thanks for sharing your test with me. I am thinking underexpose the 29 a full stop for the bleach bypass compensation and not doing a pull process to save some skin tone for my actor. I'd love to see your movie if I have a chance, Just curious about the look, and BTW, I will check out the AC for Darius Khonji. thanks a lot and I will let you know if i have something new to share with my test.

Scott Mei