Bruce shipped my head.

Paul Bruening

• Premium Member

Thanks, Steven,

My biggest worry is how the footage will hold up to the gate. I'm waiting to run tests and see how well processed, negative film will hold up. How many passes can it take through that gate before it shows wear and tear? I'll run my test rolls through it until I get scratches. I'll keep a count of the passes with an assessment of the various damages. If It goes as well as folks like Ken Stone and other engineers say, the Mitchell ought to be pretty gentle with the footage. I'm thinking of ways to run a shop vac's pipe past the film path to reduce dust and debris.

Thanks, Steven,

My biggest worry is how the footage will hold up to the gate. I'm waiting to run tests and see how well processed, negative film will hold up. How many passes can it take through that gate before it shows wear and tear? I'll run my test rolls through it until I get scratches. I'll keep a count of the passes with an assessment of the various damages. If It goes as well as folks like Ken Stone and other engineers say, the Mitchell ought to be pretty gentle with the footage. I'm thinking of ways to run a shop vac's pipe past the film path to reduce dust and debris.

Paul,

Particle Transfer Rollers may help keep the negative clean. These are commonly used in film projection and also

in labs.

http://www.nfsa.afc.gov.au/preservation/fi...er_rollers.html

Henry.

Paul,

Particle Transfer Rollers may help keep the negative clean. These are commonly used in film projection and also

in labs.

http://www.nfsa.afc.gov.au/preservation/fi...er_rollers.html

Henry.

I tend to agree with Henry on this one. A shop vac may end up doing more harm than good. Particle Transfer Rollers work very well but ya gotta clean them regularly to remove all the crap they've picked up off the film. I've been doing some research on this issue lately because dust is a BIG concern here in El Paso. The desert winds blow that calliche' dust EVERYWHERE! it's HORRIBLE. I just bought a Technical Film Systems 16/35mm Film FC-4000 Cleaning Machine from the 90s that uses distilled water to help combat the dust problem and clean my prints. It cost 50K in the 90s but they don't make them any more so HOPEFULLY it works and was just too expensive or unusual for many labs. I got it cheap so I can't get too badly burned if it has some issues. :D Here's a few pictures of it :

4e0d_1.jpg

4fde_1.jpg

4f64_1.jpg

4e6a_1.jpg

4f0f_1.jpg

• Premium Member

Hey Paul,

I'd love to hear more about this 2 perf scan rig. As you may know, I recently got a 2 perf modified Kinor and I am now seriously looking into the post production issues. What kind of scanning are you up to? Is it for your own personal work or are you going to be doing it for others as well?

Bruce

• Premium Member

Hello Bruce,

Originally, I was going to use it for my own purposes. Since my funding has fallen through for my movie, I have become rather desperate for money. I don't really want to get into competition with any labs or post houses. BUT, I could definitely do some 2-perf telecine to SD, 5K or less scans from 2-perf, post production rental on my 8 networked computers and 3 & 4K records to anamorphic or 1:1.85 35mm to get me by until I can get my dad's house sold. Since I'm desperate I'll do it all for ridiculously cheap. PM me.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul,

Have you made any progress with the telecine? Can you post any images?

Thanks from,

Henry.

Hello Bruce,

Originally, I was going to use it for my own purposes. Since my funding has fallen through for my movie, I have become rather desperate for money. I don't really want to get into competition with any labs or post houses. BUT, I could definitely do some 2-perf telecine to SD, 5K or less scans from 2-perf, post production rental on my 8 networked computers and 3 & 4K records to anamorphic or 1:1.85 35mm to get me by until I can get my dad's house sold. Since I'm desperate I'll do it all for ridiculously cheap. PM me.

• Premium Member

Hello Henry,

Thanks for asking. I haven't tried it out yet. I have to make up some cables and power supplies for the rig. I've also been occupied selling some gear so I can pays some bills. Life is getting in the way, darn it!