Sony XD Cam Z7

Arturo Querzoli

I was looking at the new Sony cams on this link:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hdhdv/de...0101/index.html

..and they seem to be great cameras. I'm a HVX200 user, but may be the time to change manufacturer...or not? Concerning the price range, the cheap flash cards, the bundled "Firestore FS100" recorder... Tell me what you think!

Ks,

Arturo

I was looking at the new Sony cams on this link:

http://digitalcontentproducer.com/hdhdv/de...0101/index.html

..and they seem to be great cameras. I'm a HVX200 user, but may be the time to change manufacturer...or not? Concerning the price range, the cheap flash cards, the bundled "Firestore FS100" recorder... Tell me what you think!

Ks,

Arturo

Finally! While I still don't like the HDV compression scheme . . . It is heartening that a major player is coming out with a small camera that takes real lenses like the Z7. It is going to be interesting to see what Panasonic counters with. I much prefer the DVCPRO HD codec to HDV, but I tested a EX1 two weeks ago and the image is solid despite being teeny 32 mbps and 4:2:0 compression scheme. . .

The Sony Z7 is a joke. It uses the obsolete interlace 1080i format. Interlace scanning is a relic from the analog days of televisions broadcasting and has no place in the modern digital world yet marketing departments love this format because of the big resolution numbers. Its progressive modes are also severely crippled because it outputs at the most 30p which makes it not a very good choice for the fast action sports where 60p is needed. I think the XDCAM EX-1 is a better camera.