Final Cut Pro 3 or Final Cut Express 3.5? Which would be better?

Chris Frey

Hi, I'm looking to begin editing short films and I'm able to get my hands on a copy of final cut pro 3, which is kind of out dated, but is so out dated? If so, would it be to my advantage to instead buy Final Cut Express 3.5?

I recently bought FCP 4 Academic Version on ebay for $100. Ive been editing with it. No problems. It's good as new, complete with serial numbers, all CD's, manuals etc.

Where would you be getting the programs from and at what prices?

I recently bought FCP 4 Academic Version on ebay for $100. Ive been editing with it. No problems. It's good as new, complete with serial numbers, all CD's, manuals etc.

Where would you be getting the programs from and at what prices?

Well I was looking too, on ebay and an rough guess would be in the 60-100 buck range.

It comes with all the original stuff too.

Hey, guys. . .

I don't know how new your Macs are, but if they're Intel-based, I think FCP versions up to 5.0 are NO GOOD! 5.1 is the first version that was made for the Intel-based stuff. I got the 5.0 Suite off Ebay, for my new Imac, and found that whenever I captured footage, it was out of sync--one of the issues of FCP 5 not being supported on the Intel machines. So I was rather forced to upgrade to FCS 2 or suffer.

Maybe only 5 has those issues, though I don't know how that could be.

• Premium Member
Hey, guys. . .

I don't know how new your Macs are, but if they're Intel-based, I think FCP versions up to 5.0 are NO GOOD! 5.1 is the first version that was made for the Intel-based stuff. I got the 5.0 Suite off Ebay, for my new Imac, and found that whenever I captured footage, it was out of sync--one of the issues of FCP 5 not being supported on the Intel machines. So I was rather forced to upgrade to FCS 2 or suffer.

Maybe only 5 has those issues, though I don't know how that could be.

Hi Josh,

I have Final Cut Express 3.5.1 on an Intel MacBookPro and sometimes it captures out of sync and when it does,

99% of the time it's 21 frames off. It's so consistent that when it's out of sync I don't even look to line it up. I

first just move the video -21 frames and it's synced. Was your capture problem that consistent and did it always

happen or just sometimes? Also, did you ever have a problem printing to video?