China bulb powered by battery belt?

So I'm going to be shooting a run and gun feature this summer on the road. We're using the Brevis flip and the HVX so needless to say our low light capabilities will not be too great.

I'm going to look into getting a ring light that will fit on our rig, but we're going to really be depended on fill from china bulbs on boom poles.

When we won't have the space to run it off a cable how can I get the china bulb to run off a battery belt like a sun gun? Do any companies have any fixtures for this? Or is there a cable that I can plug the fixture into and then run to a battery belt?

We're going to need 150-200W bulbs on a dimmer...

Anyone used anything similar while shooting on the fly?

• Premium Member

I remember using Mole teenie weenies in school that were DC powered. You could run them off of 30V battery belts. Those bulbs and fixtures should be pretty readily available.

There are also quite a few fixtures that can be powered off of car batteries. Perhaps one or more of those could be altered to be a good china ball fixture.

Look up gyoury? I think I spelled it right? They make a dimmable fluorescent that is battery powered.

Alternatively you can get a 12v trouble light. It uses a 12v 50w medium base lamp (looks just like a household bulb). These bulbs are available at autozone and walmart.

I am sure there are other cheap solutions but arent there always.

NRG has some dimming fixtures you may be able to hack, otherwise try dedolight. They make 12 and 24v fixtures that you can easily plug into 12 or 24v belts or block batteries (respectively).

Or for the ghetto version,

http://www.westinghouselighting.com/pdf/pd...LampHolders.pdf

get a g6.35 ceramic lamp holder and wire it to a 3 or 4 pin xlr. Suspend the fixture inside you china ball, and use the appropriate bulb 24v-150w or 12v-100w. Should be cheap and omni-directional.

Those gyoury lights actually look perfect...BUT their website says they plug into a ballast box. On their site they don't have any ballast for sale (as far as I can see) and it looks like they will plug into a kino flo ballast box.

That would be perfect for the car interior stuff that we're shooting, but is it possible to wire those lights directly to a battery belt without a ballast box?

What kind of connectors would those need? It looks like their an 8pin cable, and if my memory is correct the battery belts that I can rent are four pin connectors...Is there a step down cable that I can get for that?

Thanks for all your help!!

Sounds like you need an inverter, or two. I just used one to run a kino off a 12v battery belt for a free-driving car shot. I think the inverter was made by the same company that makes the Joker light, K5600. If I had had the time, I would have put a cube tap into the female inverter plug and added a dimmable china ball to the rig. You can also get a cigarette lighter inverter if you're doing a lot of car work.

Good Luck!

Sounds like you need an inverter, or two. I just used one to run a kino off a 12v battery belt for a free-driving car shot. I think the inverter was made by the same company that makes the Joker light, K5600. If I had had the time, I would have put a cube tap into the female inverter plug and added a dimmable china ball to the rig. You can also get a cigarette lighter inverter if you're doing a lot of car work.

Good Luck!

Hmm this may be the way to go...Ive already got a 400w inverter. With the inverter and battery belt in a backpack we should be able to work pretty well on the run.

Thanks again!

I also looked into using two 3x12 rosco lite-pads mounted on the dash for our car scenes. Ill have to test it though and see if it will be enough light to use with the brevis. Id love to get an f-4 in night car interiors, but I seriously doubt Ill get that much light out of these.

at 500asa, my single 2' kino tube, covered w/ a strip of 250 white diffusion, a strip of 1/4 green, and a strip of nd.6 gave me a stop of F1 about 2' from the unit. If you strip the nd.6 that would give a stop of F2.

Perhaps I'll pick up 4 of the 3x16 units...mount two on the dash, and two on the visors. That should be able to get me in the ballpark of 2.8...

It seems like christmas or rope lights might be a good way to go as well and mount them on the ceiling. We're going to be using a conversion van so there should be plenty of headroom to mount fixtures.