ROLLEI SL 83

Sam Ebrahim

Hey all,

Have come across a ROLLEI SL 83 and wanted to know if anyone has had previous experience with these cameras. It's going for around £30 and I'd be using it for the 'Straight8' competition initially. Is it worth the money? Just to let you know I've browsed the net and these forums for information but couldn't find any.

Cheers,

Sam Ebrahim

Rollei made several models in the early 70's. They were fairly sophisticated. It's a camera that's rare because it didn't sell very well and it was overpriced. Rollei claimed it was made in their own factory but there was some dispute about that. I have heard that it was actually made by Agfa, others say Bauer. Some Agfas were made by Rollei (?) when not Minolta, later some Bauers were made by Chinon. The badge engineering began long before it was admitted, so who knows?

But the Rollei had a good reputation so it might be worth picking up.

Sam, Rollei made only 2 cameras by themselves (the later sound models which are really really rare, XL8 and XL12, if my memory serves me well, 1800 and 1200 pieces respectively).

The rest of the Rollei cameras (SL 81-82-83-84-85) are just rebadged Bauers. They seem pretty cool though compared to the Bauers...

I happen to have the full range of Rollei cameras and I can say that the Rollei-Bauer cameras seem more reliable to me compared to the Rollei-Rollei ones! These are very fragile and it's difficult to find a full working model (it's dificult in either case to because of theire rarity). Fortunatelly, I have 2 of the 1200 pieces, both in very good working condition :rolleyes:

Hey,

Thanks a bunch for the detailed (and surprising) replies. Unfortunately they came after the auction had ended, and I didn't really want to get it without professional advice (seeing as there are so many Super 8's floating around at the moment). However, I'm not sure if the seller managed to get rid of it so will ask him to put it up again if not. I'll keep your advice in the back of my head just in case I come across another! It's probably worth picking up the next one that comes along anyway, as I've never used Super 8 before and obviously want to try it out.

Thanks again,

Sam Ebrahim