Dolly Rental

Zia Anger

Hi All,

I am looking to rent a dolly to aid in my senior thesis film. Our film has received the Panavision New Filmmaker equipment grant and will be shooting super 16mm on the Panaflex Elaine. Is there any recommendations for upstate New York/NYC rental houses that charge a reasonable price/may be willing to negotiate? Any individuals known to rent these types of things? I was thinking something like a Elemack Cricket Dolly, but with our budget we can make something like a Matthews Suitcase Dolly work as well... maybe you can suggest what would be best.

Many thanks, Z

With the strike on, rental houses may be more willing to make a deal. A lot depends on your locations, whether they are in hard to get into places, up stairs, etc., and also what types of shots you're doing, and also if you have an experienced dolly grip. If you're keeping it simple, just moves, go with the simplest dolly. If you want compound moves, stand ups, sit downs, a lot of dance floor, and you have a dolly grip who can do that stuff, go with a peewee or something. If you're using an Elaine, ask Panavision NY if they'll make a deal on a dolly also. I know they have Chapman. I don't know what you're doing for crew, but if you have an experienced Key or Dolly and they know what you want to do, ask them what the best dolly is to use.