Strobes and Existing Lighting

Sean Conaty

I've got a few questions about strobes and existing lighting. I'm lighting an actress's face but the director wants to freeze the droplets of water on her face. I'm guessing that using a strobe is the best way to achieve this. Is it something so simple as bringing in strobes to the existing lighting situtation?

I want to keep the existing soft light on her face. Would the strobes overpower the soft light and have a solely hard light effect? If this is the case, does it make sense to hit a strobe into a bounce board to soften it?

Also, I was looking at Clairmont's strobe setup and the manual said nothing about metering for existing light + strobe light.

Does anyone have any examples on their reels or from other films in which they used strobes/regular lights?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Sean

I've got a few questions about strobes and existing lighting. I'm lighting an actress's face but the director wants to freeze the droplets of water on her face. I'm guessing that using a strobe is the best way to achieve this. Is it something so simple as bringing in strobes to the existing lighting situtation?

I want to keep the existing soft light on her face. Would the strobes overpower the soft light and have a solely hard light effect? If this is the case, does it make sense to hit a strobe into a bounce board to soften it?

Also, I was looking at Clairmont's strobe setup and the manual said nothing about metering for existing light + strobe light.

Does anyone have any examples on their reels or from other films in which they used strobes/regular lights?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

-Sean

Can you elaborate when you use the word "freeze". Freeze as in still? Is the actress in a shower or being sprayed with liquid? Do you want to use strobes to get the balls of water sharper like a soap commercial when they stream through the air?

best

Tim

Can you elaborate when you use the word "freeze". Freeze as in still? Is the actress in a shower or being sprayed with liquid? Do you want to use strobes to get the balls of water sharper like a soap commercial when they stream through the air?

best

Tim

maybe freeze is the wrong word to describe it. let me rephrase the question: how do you combine strobe lighting with existing tungsten lighting? what does this do to the quality of the existing light (soft light vs. hard strobe light)? Also, i'm assuming strobes are upward of 6000k as well, right? should those corrections be made?