My first Demo Reel

Keith LaCelle

I put this together just recently and would greatly appreciate if all of you could take a peek and tell me what you think. Thanks in advance.

Point No Point

visually there wasn't much to distinguish you from other filmmakers. the nature of the shot didn't require a unique style but nonetheless there was much you could have done to put your individual eye and I am afraid I didn't see it here. the footage was shot clean but it had a standard formula.

I do appreciate that you took the time to set up your shots. The lighting on that day must have been perfect.

visually there wasn't much to distinguish you from other filmmakers. the nature of the shot didn't require a unique style but nonetheless there was much you could have done to put your individual eye and I am afraid I didn't see it here. the footage was shot clean but it had a standard formula.

I do appreciate that you took the time to set up your shots. The lighting on that day must have been perfect.

Thank you so much for taking the time out to review my clip. My career as a cinematographer seems to be a work in progress. Any suggestions you could make regarding shooting and/ or editing would be greatly appreciated. I've read so many books, but experience seems to work better.

The day was perfect and the shots did take time to set up, but I know I could do better and I want so bad to do just that. I'm thinking panned shots would have worked well. I was also thing a shot from the water, but no boats were available. Thank you so much.

Some panning would have been nice, as it felt like a slideshow. I can appreciate the effort to set up the shots, but the primary function of video is to capture motion, and there are a lot of stationary shots here. In addition to that, the transitions seemed "uniformly inconsistent." By that, I mean you seemed to intentionally alternate between hard cuts and crossfades on every other shot, regardless of the content. While I would say that different scenes lend themselves to different transitions, just "mixing it up" for the sake of doing so made this reel uncomfortable to watch. It seemed spastic.

The composition wasn't bad, but it wasn't really all that interesting for the most part either. This could be due in large part to the lack of motion throughout. It got stale very quickly.

The intro is a little long...I forwarded through it. And the font/color-scheme you've used for your name makes it harsh on the eyes. Keep it simple. The red text with white border looks amateurish. Stick with white or gray lettering. Additionally, nix that massive watermark. It takes up a substantial portion of the screen, and really adds nothing. Make it smaller or get rid of it totally.