What kind of Bolex do I have? and how do I rewind?

Doron Kipper

I just borrowed a Bolex 16mm wind up camera from a friend. And there are no model numbers or any names on the body except for Bolex. From surfing the net, I have a feeling it's an H16 of some sort, but I have no idea what specific version it is. I'd like to look up the manual for it, but can't if I don't know the model. Any ideas on how to figure this out?

Also, I tried to rewind a few frames, but I can't figure it out. I disengaged the motor by flipping the main switch from MOT to 0...then moved the slider to M (the on switch)...and there is a knob with a backwards arrow...I turned it, and the internal counter showed frames moving back, but the actual film in the camera did not move at all. Any ideas?

Thanks

I just borrowed a Bolex 16mm wind up camera from a friend. And there are no model numbers or any names on the body except for Bolex. From surfing the net, I have a feeling it's an H16 of some sort, but I have no idea what specific version it is. I'd like to look up the manual for it, but can't if I don't know the model. Any ideas on how to figure this out?

Also, I tried to rewind a few frames, but I can't figure it out. I disengaged the motor by flipping the main switch from MOT to 0...then moved the slider to M (the on switch)...and there is a knob with a backwards arrow...I turned it, and the internal counter showed frames moving back, but the actual film in the camera did not move at all. Any ideas?

Thanks

Turning the knob just resets the counter.

You must get an accessory rewind crank that grabs the center shaft and will move the whole film transport mechanism.

The serial number of the camera will determine the exact version and approximate year of manufacture.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Turning the knob just resets the counter.

You must get an accessory rewind crank that grabs the center shaft and will move the whole film transport mechanism.

The serial number of the camera will determine the exact version and approximate year of manufacture.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis

Thanks for the info. That explains why I can't get it to rewind! Is there a database I can enter my serial number into to find the model number?

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Buddy Greenfield

Are there different backwind cranks for the various models of Bolex?

Or maybe 8mm and 16mm were different but look essentialy the same?

I have a few cranks, but from what I recall, they don't seem to fit right.

I've been meaning to get it sussed out so I can do some double exposure stuff.

Thanks

Are there different backwind cranks for the various models of Bolex?

Or maybe 8mm and 16mm were different but look essentialy the same?

I have a few cranks, but from what I recall, they don't seem to fit right.

I've been meaning to get it sussed out so I can do some double exposure stuff.

Thanks

I think they are different =( Kinda remember having issues back in school, but I could be wrong.