Converting 30p to 24p

CJ Henke III

In the recent years with NLE systems and filmmaker's shooting 29.97 fps, a big issue has been how to convert that 30p footage to 24p (from a cinematic approach). Currently I have 2 friends whose film is getting independent industry attention, but they have a serious concern with their footage. They shot it with a Sony FX1 in Cineframe 30, which was described to us by a DuArt Chief Engineer as being 30p. There is much debate has to how to convert their footage to 24p for a film out transfer and so far I have seen too many "possible" options for conversion, but none of which are a garmented, or even close to it. Has anyone done this or found any software out there that will allow us to convert this footage properly?

I have seen these recommendations, but have yet to of hear or seen any tangible results.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standards...sconversion.htm

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magicbulletframes.html

I heard Lumiere HD, but they are now out of business.

I also heard about Twixtor, but after testing an older demo of it, I was not too happy. Or even Twixtor and FieldsKit for After Effects which I haven't heard of being tested in this situation.

Anyone with real knowledge about this please Help. It has been a major concern and I am about to crack if I can't find someone with any sort of real hands on knowledge.

Thanks,

CJ

You need a plugin like Twixtor that uses optical flow to create the frames that "should have been there" when re-timing to 24p. If you just try to change the frame rate, you'll get stutter because the action in the frames won't be from the correct points in time for 24p. That's why you need to use all 30fps to estimate what 24p should look like.

Twixtor works very well. If you're having problems, I would take some time to read through some tutorial sites.

In my opinion, 30p is a very close to useless frame rate. Some TV commercials are shot 30p, but they could have very well been shot 24p (and saved some film / tape / disk space). Besides, 30fps is an NTSC specific frame rate and is used pretty much in the US and Japan only. The rest of the world is 25fps (PAL).

30fps is good for a slight slow-mo effect. I've shot stuff at 30fps for 24fps slow-mo.

Hi!!!

theres no need for a plugin!! my advise is use apple shake for it, is powerfull like a flame or inferno but cheapper, converting 30 to 24 in shake is just a few clicks!!

if you need to know how to do it let me know and im gonna splash more.

best wishes!!

G.T

In the recent years with NLE systems and filmmaker's shooting 29.97 fps, a big issue has been how to convert that 30p footage to 24p (from a cinematic approach). Currently I have 2 friends whose film is getting independent industry attention, but they have a serious concern with their footage. They shot it with a Sony FX1 in Cineframe 30, which was described to us by a DuArt Chief Engineer as being 30p. There is much debate has to how to convert their footage to 24p for a film out transfer and so far I have seen too many "possible" options for conversion, but none of which are a garmented, or even close to it. Has anyone done this or found any software out there that will allow us to convert this footage properly?

I have seen these recommendations, but have yet to of hear or seen any tangible results.

http://www.nattress.com/Products/standards...sconversion.htm

http://www.redgiantsoftware.com/magicbulletframes.html

I heard Lumiere HD, but they are now out of business.

I also heard about Twixtor, but after testing an older demo of it, I was not too happy. Or even Twixtor and FieldsKit for After Effects which I haven't heard of being tested in this situation.

Anyone with real knowledge about this please Help. It has been a major concern and I am about to crack if I can't find someone with any sort of real hands on knowledge.

Thanks,

CJ

• 4 weeks later...

:ph34r: 2 Months ago, somebody brought me some material that was supposed to be shot in 24p, but was by error processed at 30p.

For this case, I have used Media Composer Adrenaline using the fluidmotion effect. This is complicated (vector base). And this was a really...really long process (rotoscopy), but let me tell that the final look was gorgeous. Everything, the picture, the movements became very very smooth...much like film.

So, :ph34r: if you have the chance...i would really recommend this technique. But, like i've said...this is a very long and complicated process.