Highlights

Nick Keller

Just wondering how much is to much when creating controlled highlights? If your trying to mimic hot spots from the sun etc. with either tug or hmi units what's a good ratio to have? I know 4 stops is too hot reaching the shoulder, I would think something like 2 stops over would do the trick.

Another question about overexposure. Shooting soon in a small location with off-white walls. Nice thing is its a two light simple cross lit set up. At what exposure will the walls start becoming distracting? White should be about a stop or more over middle grey (zone system) so I assume if my walls are about a 1-1 1/2 over I should be ok. Shot something recently with white and my spot reflected read about 1 1/2 over my initial incident and the footage came back fine. But I just want to double check.

Just wondering how much is to much when creating controlled highlights? If your trying to mimic hot spots from the sun etc. with either tug or hmi units what's a good ratio to have? I know 4 stops is too hot reaching the shoulder, I would think something like 2 stops over would do the trick.

Another question about overexposure. Shooting soon in a small location with off-white walls. Nice thing is its a two light simple cross lit set up. At what exposure will the walls start becoming distracting? White should be about a stop or more over middle grey (zone system) so I assume if my walls are about a 1-1 1/2 over I should be ok. Shot something recently with white and my spot reflected read about 1 1/2 over my initial incident and the footage came back fine. But I just want to double check.

Four stops over is not too much for that particular filmstock. I think that's actually about right to achieve what you describe.

I HATE white walls in practical locations and will almost always try to flag/tease or light so they're ideally underexposed from your key. It also depends on your composition how you deal with white walls.

Edited by Christopher Santucci

Thanks for all the help.

Basically I'm in a pickle, I can get away with flagging most off. However there is a scene where the main character walks down a narrow hallway, of course those walls are white and I have no way of flagging. The best would be to find a new location but we can't do that.

Originally the lighting idea was there are two doors as he walks and the light will be coming from those rooms making pools of light and slowly falling off. Now lets say I do it that way is it ok if my stop for the walls is 1 1/2 over my initial incident reading?

I can try to light from above but top light isn't what we want to create the mood.