Which - EX1 or Z7U / E ? best for a job

Chris Millar

Hello,

I will be shooting a fly on the wall doco over the next few month at least where I will be active daily some more so that others.

Some days I expect to capture only 10minutes footage others I know I will capturing hours worth (at a guess a possible 6hours) - there will be lots of low light involved and unknown conditions in an environment of constant travel (touring with bands as lone operator).

I want an HD system as it will be used further down the track on other projects and am keen to invest in something new so as to keep the investment as up to date as possible (I cant wait say for the new Panasonics).

Looking at both the Sony EX1 and just released Z7U I have the following comparisons:

EX1 1/2" sensor Z7U 1/3" sensor - not much in it, prefer the EX1 though ...

EX1 fixed lens Z7U lens mount - would use the supplied Z7U lens for the project anyway

EX1 1lux Z7U 1.5 lux low light - is this difference really that significant ?

EX1 multi FPS format independent with over and undercranking (pretty neat huh) - Z7U/E PAL/NTSC boring considering PAL version usually costs more and is not listed at US vendors at the mo' -
need it in three weeks

EX1 expensive SxS cards - Z7U cheap CF cards or miniDV tapes

EX1 75minutes with supplied 8gig and bought 16gig SxS card - Z7U um, 60mins I think in HDV with the miniDV tapes

EX1 requires a laptop and harddisk to travel also - Z7U with a bunch of miniDV tapes is all I'd need

EX1 solid state robustness Z7U tape transport ready to up and die at any time

(sound is taken care of)

Most specs except the lens mount would indicate the EX1 is the winner but with the extra cost of the SxS cards and requirement of a laptop and harddisk for dumping the footage every 75minutes would it be the wrong choice for a run and gun-ish doco ?

Different horses for different courses for sure ...

Upcoming projects (more time, less travel) would indicate the EX1 is the winner, but I want to be as sure as I can be that it wont cause issues and therefore lost footage for this current project.

I'm a film user usually, HD is new to me - feel free to tell me what/who/where/how and why in whatever terms you please

Chris

That's a hard call to make. I'm an EX1 owner and I love the camera. For continuous shooting with you AND an assistant it would be fantastic because you can keep switching cards and capture your 6 hours without loss.

Without an assistant the simplicity of throwing another tape in the Z7U and getting back to shooting in 20 seconds might be the deciding factor.