Looking for Camera Car mount Rig Pics

Wilkin Chau

I'm looking to see how other people rig the camera hood mount and side mount. Well, mainly the hood mount and wondering how people orient the 4 ratchet straps any differently (since the side mount is fairly simple with just one strap going vertical). I'm also not looking for the suction cup mounts. Never used those before but they scare me.

Thanks

It can all depend on the vehicle you are mounting to. Typically I like to strap pulling out and down crossing the straps. you really have to be careful with the turn of the tires and avoid the strap crossing the open wheel area.

I cant find any photos small enough to load up. PM me and I will send you some shots of mounts.

• Premium Member
Check out www.crewpix.com and scroll to: Stunts, FX, Gear and Cool Rigs.

Lots of photos of various vehicle rigs.

(Disclaimer - My *RADIAL RIG* is listed on the site)

That's a cool site. Here's a picture from there that might help. A lot of the pictures are of real high end gear but

this might be attainable for a lower budgeted production.

It probably has to be where it is for whatever desired shot but does the closeness to the

front of the hood concern anybody? Would any of you grips do it differently?

Matt, I looked but didn't see your RADIAL RIG.

Caption on site: Key Grip Sean McBride admires the cutest little hoodmount ever!

post-12764-1203664411.jpeg

Hi Tim,

The Radial Rig pix are on page 1, in about the 5th row of photos down the page listed under *STUNTS,FX, GEAR + COOL RIGS*

It's a motion-controlled hi-speed repeatable boom arm that is mounted in the centre of the respective vehicle and can rotate continually around the car as it drives.

It is a bit of overkill for a locked off windscreen set up, but it would get the shot!

Edited by Matt Butler

• Premium Member
Hi Tim,

The Radial Rig pix are on page 1, in about the 5th row of photos down the page listed under *STUNTS,FX, GEAR + COOL RIGS*

It's a motion-controlled hi-speed repeatable boom arm that is mounted in the centre of the respective vehicle and can rotate continually around the car as it drives.

It is a bit of overkill for a locked off windscreen set up, but it would get the shot!

That thing is amazing! I did see it but I must have missed the name because I was looking at the

picture. That is wicked cool. How are you involved with that?

I have a background in motion-control and timelapse work. A few years back a TVC director asked me how to shoot a circular timelapse move around a moving vehicle. One thing led to another and I presented a technical paper with test footage dealing with the Radial Rig Mk 3 at a SMPTE conference held in Sydney in 2005. The Mk 3 was fine for slow driving speeds and timelapse work, but you know how directors are - they always want more!

So back to the drawing board and the result was the Mk 4 with a more powerful motor drive system, preset adjustable boom length and camera height, as pictured on the crewpix site

When it gets up to speed it is capable of a 6 second 360 degree continual move around a moving vehicle (STAND WELL CLEAR!) as well extreme slow speeds for time lapse work. (The Mark 1 and 2 versions were great learning exercises...... learning what not to do.)

I am fortunate to work with professional colleagues who assisted in the design and fabrication.

• Premium Member

Matt, I bet that rig is responsible for some of those how did they do that? shots I see in really

high end car commercials. Sounds like fun work.

Brad: I went through the rest of those pictures too. Big stunts!

Bob: I'm torn. I want the trailer but I'd take the car too.

I believe the lighting was 1 4 K Par and 2 x 2.5 K Pars. I?ve placed an 8x8 Highlight over the talent. There is an 8 x 8 solid over the windows to kill reflections. And there is a generator on the Camera Car. Sometimes I will shoot this kind of stuff with a stake bed, 5500 crystal sync generator, but that really limits me to two 1.2 HMI pars.

Here's one photo of the rig. I'm going to post another one.

There's also a video on facebook of the rig. The first AC Jonathan took the video of it. I don't know how to post it but you can look up my name (Wilkin Chau).

It's from the POV of the Tow Dolly looking at the car.

Again special thanks goes out to Kerry, Billy, Ian and Raphael.

post-13222-1204478944.jpg