Horror film?

Bryce Stroud

hi, im a film student currently completing a cert 3 in broadcasting and television and an additional assignment is to produce a 8min max horror. camera gear at disposals HDV-V1, HDV-Z1, HDV-A1 and sony BRC (for crane cam). also school just bought a tiffen steadicam pilot. just wondering any reccomened/standard settings/gear for horror (ie. 25p progressive scan, 1080i, specific white balance or lighting to use).

doesnt matter how large the video is, using adobe master suite for editing and a decent pc

any suggestions for gear/settings/lighting would be awesome :)

HI Bryce,

Settings on a camera will not give you a horror look nor will it give you action look etc....

The look is achieved through your creativity in lighting, colours, angles and movement.

My advice is focus on those.

Cheers

S

cheers, i think i slightly got confused in terms of colour grading wheni meant horror look.

just wondering if theres any set settings for night shooting, or if its all personal preference (ie. with whitebalance, exposure,etc)

• Premium Member

White balance normal and use lighting and color to do what you need. Expose normal and use lighting to do what you need to make things bright and dark. As for camera, any of the cameras you mention will work fine. You've asked a very difficult question as it is very broad. If you said how do I get a certain look, I think you would get more secific answers. Your question is the equivlent of asking someone how can I lead a better life. So perhaps you can tell us about looks you want to achive, or overall look. That would help with better answers.

White balance normal and use lighting and color to do what you need. Expose normal and use lighting to do what you need to make things bright and dark. As for camera, any of the cameras you mention will work fine. You've asked a very difficult question as it is very broad. If you said how do I get a certain look, I think you would get more secific answers. Your question is the equivlent of asking someone how can I lead a better life. So perhaps you can tell us about looks you want to achive, or overall look. That would help with better answers.

thanks heaps, soz, bit new to this...

the main look i wish to get in the horror is a focus on when the character is 'going insane' ie. like a dream sequence deep/defined shadows