DVC PRO

Ernie Zahn

Hi, I'm more of a Super/Standard 8 filmmaker. I haven't had much experience with DV. So I do have a couple questions:

1) What is DVC PRO? I've only used the regular consumer DVC tapes that you can pick up at any CVS etc. Is a higher grade? Will it work on my camera? I own a JVC GR-DVL510.

2)What kind of digital film did they use for movies like Colateral and 28 Days Later? I know my camera is definately not at that level but just for kicks what was their set up?

Regards,

Ernie Zahn

• Premium Member

Hi,

> What is DVC PRO

DVCPRO is a variant on the standard DV tape format used by some higher-end Panasonic cameras. The difference is mainly in the way it's recorded on tape and the size of the cassette shells - DVCPRO uses metal particle tape, which has a lower information density than evaporated, so it runs more quickly than equivalent DVCAM, but is less likely to drop out. The colour sampling is different to PAL DVCAM; in NTSC the colour sampling is identical for both formats. Some DVCAM devices will play back DVCPRO; most won't. Your camera records standard miniDV and there's nothing you can do about it.

> What kind of digital film did they use for movies like Colateral

Sony 900-series HDCAM.

> and 28 Days Later

Canon XL1, believe it or not.

> I know my camera is definately not at that level

Actually, your camera is on a similar level to those used to shoot "28 Days Later". They did use film-style lenses, but that's not a huge differentiation. The big thing is that it had an enormous amount of postproduction work done on it, although you can simulate most of that in a decent NLE.

Phil