Day Rates for Camera Dept

I am looking to get a general idea of what other people charge for second shooter, AC jobs &/or Video Utility day or hourly rates. I don't want to undercut myself or other AC's for that matter by lowering the standard. Union or Non-union. I know there are a lot of variables, such as amount of experience, working conditions, shorter or longer days, extreme weather or not and local area. If people would be kind enough to let me know what they charge for different scenarios I'd really appreciate it. (ie $250/day in LA for 10 hours for 2nd shooter with 5 years production experience (2 years shooting) on low-budget tv shows)

(ie $250/day in LA for 10 hours for 2nd shooter with 5 years production experience (2 years shooting) on low-budget tv shows)

If you're on a very micro budget where it's an "understandable" rate, than some people will work for that much. But realistically, you should be in the neighborhood of $400+ per day for an op, same for a 1st AC.

Depending on the project and the budget I charge $350-500 for 1sting. That also changes for 10 or 12 depending on feature or commercial. On more of the smaller budget stuff the 12 hour day is becoming more prevalent. I usually charge 50 or 75 less than my rate for my 2nd. You then can tack on your kit rental, for a bump in rate. A friend of mine makes 650 a day for 1sting and another 650 in kit rental. If you get paid like a whore you get treated like a whore.

• Premium Member
Depending on the project and the budget I charge $350-500 for 1sting. That also changes for 10 or 12 depending on feature or commercial. On more of the smaller budget stuff the 12 hour day is becoming more prevalent. I usually charge 50 or 75 less than my rate for my 2nd. You then can tack on your kit rental, for a bump in rate. A friend of mine makes 650 a day for 1sting and another 650 in kit rental. If you get paid like a whore you get treated like a whore.

I need to get to know more good 1sts. I would kill to consistently get a fair rate lately. <_<

• Premium Member
A friend of mine makes 650 a day for 1sting and another 650 in kit rental. If you get paid like a whore you get treated like a whore.

What is he/she renting? I've never heard of a 1st getting that kind of kit rental unless it's really an equipment rental. Does this person rent a set of lenses? Or maybe a Preston and a lot of other stuff? Because in order to get $650/day in rental you would need to have some serious gear, not just a cart and ditty bag and a monitor or two.

I'm confused about your whore comment? Does that mean you don't think assistants should get rentals?