Outdoor Filming

Ben Hamilton

Hey Everyone,

I working on a the preproduction stages of a documentary that is going to be filmed in Alaska. I am looking for some advice on strategies for efficiency and quality when shooting in the outdoors. We will be traveling by kayak and backpack only so both energy and water is a problem. Everything will be shot on the Sony V1u. What backpack is good for caring a camera and other supplies? Should I bring a small steady cam? Is there any current system used for steady filming out of a Kayak..(ie suction tripod)? Thanks for all of the help!!!

You're gonna have to provide more info. What is the subject of the shoot? Suctioning that camera to a kayak seems kind of dicey to me.

Why would water be a problem? You mean, you will run out, or that it will be dangerous for your camera to be around so much water? In terms of drinking water, just get a simple backpacking water filter/pump.

You're gonna have to provide more info. What is the subject of the shoot? Suctioning that camera to a kayak seems kind of dicey to me.

Why would water be a problem? You mean, you will run out, or that it will be dangerous for your camera to be around so much water? In terms of drinking water, just get a simple backpacking water filter/pump.

We are highlighting the entirety of the Tongass. It is an Old Growth forest in south east Alaska. Subjects will range from marine life to bears and eagles and most importantly the forest and landscape. My concern about water was getting the camera wet not drinking. I have been looking at some different spash bags and it seems like the ewa-marine (http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/493748-REG/Ewa_Marine_VF7_VF7_Underwater_Housing.html)

one would work but I have never used it so I can not say for sure. Can you suggest any backpacks that might work well? The KATA bags seem great but again I have never used them so I am unsure.

I imagine, as most shoots go, that your a little short on cash.

But if you aren't...I would look into getting an underwater housing for your camera if the majority of shots are going to be on the kayak...cuz one slip...and sploosh...there goes your movie for two weeks while you hike out of Alaska and buy a new one...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5195...Housing_f_.html

Also, some sort of ratchet straps could be used to mount the camera to the kayak...I'd feel better about that then suction cups...near water...of course it'd be harder to pull off in an emergency...

Good luck...and stay away from abandoned buses in the wilderness...they're bad luck...

John