PD-170 real IRE or % for adjusting video monitor

Gabriel Rochette

Hi video tecnician......

Please help me fast i'm tired !!!!!!

Ok! Let me explain....

Shooting with a classic Sony PD-170 is always a technical adventure...

For this....Pd 170 is Digital OK ! but my monitor is a classic tube analog... I have to calibrate the monitor and I use an SMPTE signal OK ! But when I SET-UP my camera (o or 7.5) I remember this.... 0 IRE is the real black for digital world....7.5 real black for analog world.

In the pd 170 menu this is not IRE but % ( o or 7.5 ).

If I understand the signal on the ccd is DIGITAL but the signal from the RCA output ... is.... analog on my monitor !!! CONFUSION.... What is the best SET-UP ??? 0 or 7.5 ???. Looking at many books about digital cameras , the manufacturer (Sony) add 7.5 IRE to their analog output !!!!!

Whats is the best SET-UP for shooting whit tis camera and whst is the best way to calibrate the analog monitor ??????

Thank you everyone

Gabriel Rochette

Canada, Québec

• Premium Member

The whole idea is to calibrate the monitor to the signal being fed to it, regardless of what IRE setup you're using. Monitor calibration is always the same:

http://www.videouniversity.com/tvbars2.htm

The only time you have to worry about changing the calibration (other than checking it periodically) is if you change signal being fed to it (for example, if you switch cameras or change the setup level in the camera).

Tanks for this fast answer.

Now....

When the time is come to tranfert in the computer....

Using a Fire Wire.....Is this real that the output ADD 7.5 IRE to my images??????

Many books talk about this ...... I really don't understand this double technology (digital and analog working in tandem.

But it's make sense that the signal (digital) feed in an analog TV have to be add by 7.5 IRE to respect the broadcast analog BLACK. But show after the editing my image look greynish.......

OK !

Sorry for this confusion but....

Tank you All

• Premium Member

I don't have much experience with the PD 170, but firewire should be a direct transfer of the digital data, without added setup. In any case, it's not hard to tell by looking at the edit software's waveform monitor to see what the signal levels are. Roll 15-30 seconds of color bars at the head of your first tape, followed 15 seconds of black (iris closed). Look at those levels when you import the footage and see what IRE black is coming in at. If it's too high you can probably color correct the levels back to where you want them to be.