Bleach Bypass Sample clip and Stills

Justin Lovell

• 4 weeks later...

Man, the lighting - and cinematography in general - for "Fake Empire" was awesome. I KNOW that wasn't natural lighting, but I'd be interested in what your setup for that was. It seemed simple, but very, very effective. Very effective use of deep contrasts between your lights and darks. And the look of it was very . . . 16ish, if I could say that. I mean, I imagine blown up to the size of a regular tv screen or larger, one might begin to discern that it's 8 (perhaps), but in this size it looks great. Very deep, rich colors.

I mean I've seen some of the work of director Guy Maddin, and I think that style is pretty darn cool and very imaginative . . . But, of his own admission, it LOOKS like 8mm. Some of the stuff you shot on 8mm . . . looks like 16mm.

Makes one almost consider attempting a feature shoot on it. :)

Gents, Justin Lovell has a bit of a reputation in the Toronto filmmaking circles for being an absolute wizard. He's an immensely talented cinematographer and his telecine work is second to none, at least among the telecine houses that are available to me there is no comparison.

He also happens to be a great and patient teacher, I've learned so much from him. Hopefully he'll make more appearances on this board and update the Framediscreet blog regularly, there's plenty we can all learn from this man.

Edited by Ray Noori