PRO 8mm CLASSIC UP FOR SALE AGAIN

Paul James Savarese

Well, Paul,

The problem with selling a Beaulieu 'Pro8' camera for $2000 is that there are quite a few used Beaulieu 4008 cameras on eBay for a price that is significantly lower, that can be serviced to a top-notch, functioning camera for about $250-300, by for example Bjorn Andersson in Stockholm.

They usually don´t have crystal sync but that could also be installed later for less money.

Here are some examples - they usually sell for prices between $400 - $750, depending on model, state and the make of the zoom lens (Schneider or Angénieux):

http://photography.search.ebay.com/Beaulie...gZ1QQsofocusZbs

Best,

Bengt

that and with the original starting price of what you paid you are entering the realm of the mythical heights of the mekel. what exactly does the pro8mm camera package offer over a standard beaulieu?

Widened gate for 16:9 frame - repositioned lense and 16:9 viewfinder

New motor

Body

Crystal sync

Mint lense

5hr-Battery pack

Many will argue that you can get your camera refurbished for less but the fact of the matter is you're not going to get all of the above. This piece of equipment is for professionals who demand a professional piece of equipment - not some garage sale up grade.

Widened gate for 16:9 frame - repositioned lense and 16:9 viewfinder

New motor

Body

Crystal sync

Mint lense

5hr-Battery pack

Hi Paul,

I didn´t mean that I recommend people not to buy your fine camera, I just wanted everybody to be aware of all the facts and be able to compare. The Pro8mm 'Classic' MAX-8 camera with 24 fps crystal sync is a very good choice indeed for dedicated sync sound shooting, if you can get the camera to run quieter with a led/foam barney or blimp housing and a supercardioid shotgun mike.

Peronally, I think Pro8mm and Phil Vigeant charges way too much for refurbished Beaulieu 4008 ZM cameras with the 1.9/Angénieux 8-64mm macro zoom lens. This is the only Super 8 zoom lens, to my knowledge, that covers the slightly wider frame of the 'MAX-8' format (or 'Super-Duper 8'). It is a construction from the early 60s, which isn´t quite as tack sharp as the Schneider Optivaron macro 1.8/6-66mm or the faster Angénieux T1.4/6-80mm. I know, because I have them all and I have tested them.

Yes, the body is re-painted - I think this may be a must, when using old Beaulieu ZM cameras and selling them as 'new'.

The widened gate, by the way (about 1mm wider/poened up to the left in the camera gate), gives you a ratio of 1.58:1, which is not as wide as 16:9. You still need to crop the top and bottom of the frame a bit to get a true 16:9 image but it´s of course a lot better than starting with a 1.33:1 frame. Refer to the picture (from Wittner Cinetec) below.

A separate, long-lasting battery pack is great to have on long shoots on a tripod but I personally prefer the smaller batteries that screws directly into the camera - a spare one is easy to keep in a pocket. They are re-celled with 450mAh NiMH cells and last a day of shooting.

I am thinking about widening a gate in one of my Beaulieus 4008´s but there are issues with the shutter and the perfect re-alignment of the lens vs. the gate and framing of the viewfinder. Furthermore, it limits the choice of really good zoom lenses with a good wide angle setting. I´d have to use good primes instead and longer 16mm zooms with a C mount.

All in all, the lucky person who buys your Pro8mm 'Classic' MAX-8 camera will certainly get a rugged professional sync sound machine with a very good lens.

All the best,

/ Bengt

Pro8mm 'MAX-8' Beaulieu camera gate, widened/opened on the left hand side (picture from Beaulieu and Pro8mm dealer Wittner Cinetec, Germany).

MAX-81158cameragate.jpg

Hi Paul,

I didn´t mean that I recommend people not to buy your fine camera, I just wanted everybody to be aware of all the facts and be able to compare. The Pro8mm 'Classic' MAX-8 camera with 24 fps crystal sync is a very good choice indeed for dedicated sync sound shooting, if you can get the camera to run quieter with a led/foam barney or blimp housing and a supercardioid shotgun mike.

Peronally, I think Pro8mm and Phil Vigeant charges way too much for refurbished Beaulieu 4008 ZM cameras with the 1.9/Angénieux 8-64mm macro zoom lens. This is the only Super 8 zoom lens, to my knowledge, that covers the slightly wider frame of the 'MAX-8' format (or 'Super-Duper 8'). It is a construction from the early 60s, which isn´t quite as tack sharp as the Schneider Optivaron macro 1.8/6-66mm or the faster Angénieux T1.4/6-80mm. I know, because I have them all and I have tested them.

Yes, the body is re-painted - I think this may be a must, when using old Beaulieu ZM cameras and selling them as 'new'.

The widened gate, by the way (about 1mm wider/poened up to the left in the camera gate), gives you a ratio of 1.58:1, which is not as wide as 16:9. You still need to crop the top and bottom of the frame a bit to get a true 16:9 image but it´s of course a lot better than starting with a 1.33:1 frame. Refer to the picture (from Wittner Cinetec) below.

A separate, long-lasting battery pack is great to have on long shoots on a tripod but I personally prefer the smaller batteries that screws directly into the camera - a spare one is easy to keep in a pocket. They are re-celled with 450mAh NiMH cells and last a day of shooting.

I am thinking about widening a gate in one of my Beaulieus 4008´s but there are issues with the shutter and the perfect re-alignment of the lens vs. the gate and framing of the viewfinder. Furthermore, it limits the choice of really good zoom lenses with a good wide angle setting. I´d have to use good primes instead and longer 16mm zooms with a C mount.

All in all, the lucky person who buys your Pro8mm 'Classic' MAX-8 camera will certainly get a rugged professional sync sound machine with a very good lens.

All the best,

/ Bengt

Pro8mm 'MAX-8' Beaulieu camera gate, widened/opened on the left hand side (picture from Beaulieu and Pro8mm dealer Wittner Cinetec, Germany).

MAX-81158cameragate.jpg

Thanks for the claification. I appreciate it. I think I am just going to keep the camera - I really don't want to sell it anyhow.

Thanks for the claification. I appreciate it. I think I am just going to keep the camera - I really don't want to sell it anyhow.

Paul,

Let me commend you on that decision - Beaulieu Super 8mm cameras are for keeps, in my opinion!

Here´s a tip for some image improvements on the MAX-8 format: buy a cheap Chinese 'C mount to Nikon F' adapter, and try some neat, mechanical, non-AF Nikon F prime lenses (you can get them on eBay now and then for very resonable prices), like the amazing Micro-Nikkor 2.8/55mm AiS - that will give you some truly great MAX-8 macro or medium-range shots.

In the 70s, I worked as an assistant cameraman for an advertising cinematographer & still photographer - he even used the Micro-Nikkor (which was 1:3.5 back then) for 35mm Mitchell or ARRI BL II cameras, for close work - it´s that good!

Instead of the fifteen or so lenses in the Angé macro zoom (with twice as many lens surfaces that has to be clean and free from refelections) you only have about five and this will yield superb contrast and very high resolution.

For really long telephoto shots (on a tripod, if there is enough light and the film stock is not too slow), try the tack sharp Nikkor 2.5/105mm AiS (from the 80s) - one of the sharpest and most contrasty telephoto lenses around anywhere, much sharper than most AF zooms today. Very simple, basic, genuine telephoto lens construction - no zoom 'comromises'.

And, most importantly - have fun with your great camera!

Best,

/ Bengt in Stockholm