critique of website and reel

• 2 weeks later...
anybody... I know one of you 58 guys (or gals) that viewed it must have some opinion....

I know from personal experience it is hard to get a response from people here sometimes. The only in production post with pictures I made got 100 hits and no responses. Makes me think of that old adage: "If you have nothing good to say, better not to say anything at all." I do hope I am wrong, but a lot of people probably remain unimpressed and just move on.

Professionaly though, it is good to develop that thick skin, and just keep at it. Problem is, how does one make things better if no one is willing to give feedback? So, I usually try to give people constructive feedback, hoping I would get the same in return.

There were some shots in your reel where I thought the light was a little blasted on people's faces. Personally I try not to do that, but that is just my taste. As a good thing, your reel shows enough diversity of looks, from flatter lighting to more direct hard lighting, bright and dark shots. I don't really know what to say other than it looks like you can light all right, although I would like to see more subtle lighting too, if that makes sense.

It is hard because you are working for the DP, and he/ she ultimately decides what flies and doesn't. Had you shot the images you posted, I would have more things to say . . .

Hope that helps.

Hey Chris,

It looks like you can light for a good range of aesthetics. If this is your gaffer reel and not your DP reel, I don't know what else to say though since you're executing someone else's plan.

There are some shots that look entirely soft, starting with the woman on the phone and the man in the bathrobe. It all looks out of focus except for the shot where the man stands up - then the sofa is more in focus. I don't know if that's a back focus issue or what, but it detracts from the reel and looks like a mistake, so I'd nix those shots.

Mike

Thanks for all the feedback guys. Most of the things on the reel I was the gaffer, but it is something to separate me from the crowd. Notes taken. I think that some of the softness is due to the fact that these are all DVD rips, and then compressed to flash. Keep the criticism coming... it is much appreciated....

• 2 weeks later...