Inexpensive macro lens M42

steveb40

Look for the Zeiss lenses made in the DDR (before it's fall) I think there is a macro or two in that collection... the name of which escapes me right now... but go on ebay do a search for M42 (or practica) and Zeiss. This should give you some results - whether you buy there or not. Good luck.

Look for the Zeiss lenses made in the DDR (before it's fall) I think there is a macro or two in that collection... the name of which escapes me right now... but go on ebay do a search for M42 (or practica) and Zeiss.  This should give you some results - whether you buy there or not.  Good luck.

OK. So I'm going to buy a Zeiss DDR 50/1.8. I think it'll do it. Is it a good choice?

THANKS

Lost a bid on a zeiss ddr. bought an old meyer oreston 50/1.8. will this yield better results than the stock K-3 glass?

THANKS

I don't know, I've only used my nikons... I hear the Zeiss are very good though. Actually I used a 20mm Mamiya-sekor that was very sharp and fast... and CHEAP. Remember that a 50mm will look a lot more like 100mm in 16mm format... get a 24mm or a 25mm if you want normal perspective.

Good luck.

I don't know, I've only used my nikons... I hear the Zeiss are very good though.  Actually I used a 20mm Mamiya-sekor that was very sharp and fast... and CHEAP.  Remember that a 50mm will look a lot more like 100mm in 16mm format... get a 24mm or a 25mm if you want normal perspective.

Good luck.

Andrew,

So the one I bought (50mm) will be a telephoto?

Thanks for all the help. I'm trying to get the hang of this.

Andrew,

So the one I bought (50mm) will be a telephoto?

Thanks for all the help. I'm trying to get the hang of this.

Yep. The 16mm frame is like taking the very middle forth or fifth of a 35mm frame. So, while you still technically have a 50mm... it will look a lot more like a 100mm on the much smaller frame size (I'm sure someone on this forum will call me out for that lame explanation). BUT it is the case. That is why the high end Optar and Zeiss primes sets for 16mm and s16 are something like 9mm, 12mm, 18mm, 24mm, 32mm and 50mm (I'll get called out on this too)... because the 32mm and 50mm cover the telephoto end of things.

If it is any consulation, telephoto lenses are usally a lot sharper and I love to shoot with them as often as possible... plus with all the racket the K3 makes when it is running, you might find this to be advantagous.

I wish I had all the used lenses of New York to pilfer, fondle, and discover... there isn't much in North Carolina.

Yep.  The 16mm frame is like taking the very middle forth or fifth of a 35mm frame.  So, while you still technically have a 50mm... it will look a lot more like a 100mm on the much smaller frame size (I'm sure someone on this forum will  call me out for that lame explanation).  BUT it is the case. That is why the high end Optar and Zeiss primes sets for 16mm and s16 are something like  9mm, 12mm, 18mm, 24mm, 32mm and 50mm (I'll get called out on this too)... because the 32mm and 50mm cover the telephoto end of things.

If it is any consulation, telephoto lenses are usally a lot sharper and I love to shoot with them as often as possible... plus with all the racket the K3 makes when it is running, you might find this to be advantagous.

I wish I had all the used lenses of New York to pilfer, fondle, and discover... there isn't much in North Carolina.

thanks for the info. yes, sometimes i like this town. i found a 29mm meyer pentacon so now i'll have two primes. i look forward to testing both when i get the camera. i feel good about using the 50mm since, as you say, it should produce some nice, sharp images.

i'll report back.