Vignetting with Bolex lenses

Guest Kathleen Lawler

Guest Kathleen Lawler

Hello everyone

I am shooting a 16mm student short film, which is using experimental techniques to tell a story. I want to get a severe vignetting effect when doing stop motion animation of a young woman moving through the streets at night. I want it to look a bit like tunnel vision.

Which lenses (or other techniques) would give this effect?

Many thanks

Kathleen

Hello everyone

I am shooting a 16mm student short film, which is using experimental techniques to tell a story. I want to get a severe vignetting effect when doing stop motion animation of a young woman moving through the streets at night. I want it to look a bit like tunnel vision.

Many thanks

Kathleen

Use a hard matte in front of the taking lens. That's how they use to do keyholes, binoculars etc.

Hello everyone

Many thanks

Kathleen

If the camera you're using takes C-mount lenses, you could use a lens from a super8 Beaulieu camera which will automatically give you a porthole effect on 16mm.

Cheers,

Jean-Louis