Into The Wild

I just saw this on DVD, and it was, for me, one of the best movies that I have seen in quite some time. Sean Penn and Eric Gautier brought amazing justice to Jon Krakauer's portrayal of Christopher McCandless's emotional journey. The story and characters were engaging, and I loved the cinematography.

Some might argue that Penn elevated McCandless's character to state of excessive romanticism and wisdom beyond his years, although I found that to be integral to the movie's appeal. This young man's journey was driven by idealism and a romantic vision of what his world should be. Penn and Gautier captured that amazingly well, IMO.

I've since picked up on the fact that Mccandless apparently wasn't as nice a person as depicted on film.

I couldn't say, although here is his Wikipedia bio. Whatever the truth about his personality, the cinemagraphic portrayal made this one of my favorites films of the season.

Edited by Ken Cangi

I had mixed feelings about the picture, since this is one of my favorite books of all time, and a story that has had a profound influence on my life. I was afraid that the picture would be too "on the nose," and it was. Malone's voiceover was dreadful, and completely superfluous. The very shots with her awful voiceover would have played out so much more beautifully and philosophically if they had simply been quiet. That is, after all, what McCandless was all about.

But, having said that, this movie had my favorite shots of the year, and is now my favorite cinematography work from 2007, beating out James, No Country, etc.

vlcsnap959631kn3.png

vlcsnap979322xl5.png

vlcsnap167028ht5.png

Edited by Tom Lowe