Please explain the kinor anamorphic mattebox to me

James Steven Beverly

MatteboxKinor1.jpg

MatteboxKinor2.jpg

mattebox.jpg

Can some one please explain the Kinor 35mm anamorphic matte box to me? In the upper right corner of the matte box in the first photo ans the left side of the second photo are 2 plates who's function, I, for the life of me, can't seem to figure out! The one with the rounded inside corners seems to attach to the bellows section of the matte box but doesn't seem to correspond to any other part which leads me to think it's a stand alone part but under what circumstances is it used, the second seems to attach to the filter section but I can't figure out if it's meant to be used with the bellows (for lack of a better term) section or attaches to something else also can someone translate the paper on inside of the lid of the lid of the matte box cast so I can at least know what the various parts are officially cammed? Thanks-Steve B)

That last line should read: also can someone translate the paper on inside of the lid of the matte box CASE so I can at least know what the various parts are officially CALLED? .....LOOOONG day!

Pssst! You don't have a close up picture of the paper, so it's hard, if not impossible for anyone to read it, even if they know russian!

It might be better to have pictures of the individual parts you mean too!

love

Freya

That last line should read: also can someone translate the paper on inside of the lid of the matte box CASE so I can at least know what the various parts are officially CALLED? .....LOOOONG day!

Hey Steven,

Those plates are for use to mount the mattebox on onboard rods which attach directly to the Kinor camera body and allow the mattebox to swing away from the lens and facilitate quick lens and filter changes. The side mounted rod accessory is essential to use that type of mattebox as it has no other mount for 15mm rods, etc.

I have one for my 35H and can photograph it if you like.

Cheers,

Ian

You're right Freya baby, I'll get some CU shots of the paper, I was hoping someone might just KNOW the answer, :D Ian, buddy, How ya doin', thanks for the reply, I DEFINITELY would love to have pics. I managed to pick up a swing-out mount for the 35C from Raf (I was VERY lucky to find it) and am curious as to how it looks. Do you have any pics of the original base plate w/ 15mm rods for the 35C? (I know you have the H but I thought though out your travels you might have ran across it) I have the 35H base plate which I'm trying to adapt to the 35H but it's gonna involve machining, be expensive and a pain in the ass. Please let me know. Thanks-Steve B)

Hey Steven,

I'll get some pix soon, I'm neck deep in prep for a feature starting in two weeks. Actually we are using a Kinor 35CII converted to 2perf and I'm using my 35H lenses and and some accessories on it. Unfortunately the camera came with no baseplate so I'm using my Konvas bridgeplate with a custom spacer piece. I wish I too could find the original 35C bridgeplate with 15mm rods. I certainly don't want to mod my 35H one.

Do you have the onboard follow focus for 35C?

Cheers,

Ian

That I do my friend, I also kept the double sided large FF from my old H package as well as the long lens support and the matte box bracket set. I want to find the original pistol grip start handle as well. I got a sneaking suspicion those are also pretty rare too though so I'll be lucky if one comes up. I also need a second (third and forth if I can find them) 1000 ft mag. My H had two but like a FOOL I sold the package with one mag not realizing it was a 35CII mag when I listed it, so being a man of my word, I had to let it go with the package and NOW I can't find one at a reasonable price....STUPID huh? Hey, get some behind the scenes stuff from the feature (oh, and congats BTW) so we can see the 35C in action!!! B)

• Premium Member

Hey- I have been off the boards and didn't your post James Steven.

I have several of these matte boxes. As Ian mentioned, you are missing the bracket that everything attaches to. I don't think the swing-away bracket a-la the 35H will work-- the swingaway attachment will not extend far enough for the anamorphic lenses.There is a bracket that supports that matte box via the rods from the base plate of my 35H. I have noted several anamorphic matte box sets for sale that do not have the required bracket. Here is a pic with the matte box, you can see the bracket attached to the rods if you look carefully. Let me know if you need better pictures.

Bruce Taylor

post-13340-1207092003.jpg

Actually Bruce, I have both sets of brackets:

sw-rods-k35c.jpg

sw-rods-k35c_oncam2.jpg

sw-rods-k35c_oncam.jpg

kinor-35Hmatteboxandlenssupportfor1.jpg

I have the base plate for the 35H w/ the 15mm rods but I'll have to adapt it to the 35C unless I can find an original 35C baseplate before I begin principal photography on Blood Moon Rising.

My main question is what are the 2 plates in the upper right of the matte box case used for and how do they work within the matte box setup. I also had some other questions, how do you stack filters in these anamorphic mattboxes, how are the 5 x 7 filter frames used?

Some of the matte box attachments and filter holder frames don't seem to make any logical sense.

• Premium Member

Ian,

Your inbox showed up as being full. Here's the message I tried sending to you:

Hello Ian,

My name is Paul Bruening. James Steven knows me from past interactions. What do you have in mind for post? I have a 2-perf post facility of 8 work stations/render farm nearly finished assembling. Would you be interested in talking usefulness to you? I've just about gone broke since a heart attack ate most of my remaining set-up money. In my desperation I could throw you an unbelievable deal on the post. I have a 2-perf to 5K digital rig and a 2-perf to SD telecine rig. As well, I have a 3840 to 4-perf rig for film-out. They're recently here from Bruce at Aranda and still have some testing to complete. All the same, we could talk 4K scans and records in the low teens per frame. We could talk 8 work stations for the price of one. I can make this sweet for you since I just need to keep my head above water at this point.

Thanks for considering,

Paul

Hey Ian, Paul is a REAL good guy to work with and honest as the Pope. If he says he'll take care of you on this, HE'LL TAKE CARE OF YOU ON THIS!!!! You're not going to get this kind of price at any post facility and certainly not going to get the undivided attention to your project Paul will undoubtedly give it so have no concerns about quality of professionalism. Paul Bruening is your man! (BTW, Just to let you know, Paul has no idea I am writing this and has not mentioned this to me at all. This recommendation is TOTALLY unsolicited. I simply wanted to let you know that I have the ultimate respect for Mr. Bruening and wanted to let you know I endorse him whole heartily and with out reservation.) Thanks-Steve

PM sent. Thanks Paul and Steven for the info, offer and recommendation. Will look into it.

Scouted locations and shot some tests over the last few days- mostly filter tests for day for night scenes. Found a dream location by chance. Will see if it pans out.

Cheers,

Ian

• Premium Member

James- I should have read your post more carefully! I just immediately noticed the missing bracket. I have been wondering about those plates as well, in addition to the filter holders (too thick) that don't seem to fit anything. I think I have 3 of these matte box sets, and each one of them seemed to have a different combination of filter holders, and each set also seemed to be new and unused. Maybe if I get some time I'll fiddle and see if the mystery plates match up with the filter holders that don't fit anything else. Next time I write Anders Banke I'll try to remember this question-- I think he would know if anyone did.

Have you figured out how to deal with the non-standard filter sizes? Given the cost of an Arri 6.6" matte box, I am looking into custom cutting some 6.6 filters to fit the Kinor matte box. No easy solutions here as far as I can see.

BTW, a month or two ago a friend shot some test footage on the new 5219 stock and I got around to setting the 35H up for anamorphic. We used the 35mm round front, shot nearly wide open (maybe t2.8), and had it printed and projected at Deluxe. Absolutely beautiful. That it could be done with such inexpensive gear is hard to believe.

Bruce Taylor

Good to know someone else is having trouble figuring out these plates as well, I figured either Olex or Raf might know something but they may not know either which would concern me. The one rounded corner plate sets onto the bellows it's self maybe it's for square front anamorphics, I don't know, but ther'd be no way t attach a filter short of taping it directly to the plate which can't be right.

As for the filter situation, I managed to pick up a 85a, an ND3 and an ND 6 a few months ago in resin cut to fit the the small (close to 5x5) frame, I got very lucky there. I'll probably do the same thing with the filters myself, have 'em cut, barring that maybe tape smaller filters to larger frames or have a couple of custom frames fabricated at a machine shop to hold standard 6.6 filters.

I am SOOOO envious of you shooting anamorphic! I have the round fronts but still lack an anamorphic gate for the 35C (I finally managed to complete my Konvas KSR-1 anamorphic setup thanks to Raf how had a viewfinder he sold me at a great price) which is going to be a problem if I don't find one soon as I plan to begin principal photography on Blood Moon Rising in November and want to shoot some tests prior to that. I'd love to see some screen captures if you have any.

As for the commie cams, man, you and I both know these are the best bargains on the market out there, simple, reliable and best bang for the buck there is. Lomos are every bit as good as the best Zeiss and Cookes of the era. The Russians were no dummies, they know how to make things that worked and worked well and these cameras were their Panavisions. You gotta know they were gonna build em right. It's really a shame the video guys are driving up the price on these amazing lenses. I've had the chance to go to an Arri BL or BL2 but I asked myself "Why, what does a BL offer that I don't already have except the added expense of western accessories?" Commie-Cams Forever, Dude!!!