Behind the lens nets

Hey guys,

What you guys ussually prefer to do when mounting nets behind the lens on film cameras. I am actually using rubber bands and snoot tape, just wondering what others do. ALso, what are your views when comparing nets in front or behind the lens?

Thanks

Hey guys,

What you guys ussually prefer to do when mounting nets behind the lens on film cameras. I am actually using rubber bands and snoot tape, just wondering what others do. ALso, what are your views when comparing nets in front or behind the lens?

Thanks

Hey Vincent,

There are some net holders which screw into the back of primos. It works in the same principle as a painter's canvas.

Cheers

S

• Premium Member
ALso, what are your views when comparing nets in front or behind the lens?

It depends on the lens. Generally, rear-mounted nets give a much more subtle look with less danger of the net pattern coming into focus. There are fewer "threads" in the light path coming across the smaller rear element. In front of the lens you tend to get a heavier diffusion effect because there's more fabric in the light path, and the larger the front element the the heavier the effect. There's a higher risk of the net pattern becoming visible when the depth of field is high, and you have to be more careful about flagging stray light off the front of the lens (as with any front-mounted diffusion).

It depends on the lens. Generally, rear-mounted nets give a much more subtle look with less danger of the net pattern coming into focus. There are fewer "threads" in the light path coming across the smaller rear element. In front of the lens you tend to get a heavier diffusion effect because there's more fabric in the light path, and the larger the front element the the heavier the effect. There's a higher risk of the net pattern becoming visible when the depth of field is high, and you have to be more careful about flagging stray light off the front of the lens (as with any front-mounted diffusion).

Thanks Michael.

I'm considering using the nets on a music clip I'm shooting on S16mm trying to recreate a look from an old music clip from "The Jam". Otherwise I might rely of diffussion filters.

Thanks Michael.

I'm considering using the nets on a music clip I'm shooting on S16mm trying to recreate a look from an old music clip from "The Jam". Otherwise I might rely of diffussion filters.

• Premium Member

Lol, Serge. I don't watch the show but I googled it and you're not too far off. You should see me with a shaven head. :lol:

herc.jpg

MePortrait.jpg

Edited by Chris Keth