Shooting in the desert

Rob.m.Neilson

I'm going to be shooting a feature this summer, part of which will be out on location in the nevada and utah deserts.

I'll be shooting with an HVX and a 35mm adapter rig...what would be the best way to protect my camera from the excessive dust.

Thanks in advance.

When I shot a music video in the desert. we covered all the bits of the camera in a trash bag, tore holes for the lens and eyepiece, taped it all up with an optical flat in the front of the lens. We were shooting in a sand storm and it was pretty bad but the camera stayed relatively clean. I think there was only one spot on the neg. Note use a white or clear bag as not to draw as much heat. On your focus disc put all the lens marks on one side and your focus on the other so you can always have a reference.

This is the type of location, I've had some small experience with, rain jackets actually work real well under blowing conditions (FXs made or nature made), also flag the camera or put an umbrella over you and it and the sun will be much kinder to you both. If you're shooting during the day you'll probably have ND or Pola filters on the camera anyway so the lens should be relatively safe though a optical glass filter is always a good idea. Carry lots of canned air to blow the dust off parts and glass and make sure when the wind whips up (around here winds are fierce and relentless) that you have something clean to cover the camera but prior to that, try and keep it out of the blowing sand in the first place also try and keep equipment out of direct sunlight if possible cause things heat up very quickly in the desert sun especially at higher altitudes (we're at 4000 ft, I think much of Nevada and Utah are higher) for your self, make sure you have plenty of water and don't necessarily rely on the company have enough on hand when you need it. When you get hot and tired, you make mistakes and that's when equipment gets damaged so take care of yourself and the equipment will tend to fair better. It's all pretty much common sense really, but it never hurts to review. B)

Edited by James Steven Beverly

Thanks guys all good advice....I have a 15 year old splash bag that more than covers the camera. Im just going to cut some holes in it for the XLR and Monitor out and try to keep it in there all the time.

Very good idea about marking off all the lens marks on the follow focus, obvious but I hadn't even thought of that.

Id much rather be shooting this there in the fall or winter, but I gotta do what I gotta do!