What Formats are Currently Available

Chad Stockfleth

4K, 3K, 2K, 1080p, 720p?

I'm most curious if it is doing the lower-res formats. Not every producer I meet wants a 2K workflow.

Thanks!

Shoots 4k, 3k, 2k. depending on your build number as 3k is only in a recent build, I believe, which is still in beta category. In order to do 120fps or other slow motion frame rates you need to shoot 2K as 4k goes only to 30fps. Not sure what the frame limit is in 3K.

All lower res formats can be derived from the 2,3,or 4k raw files through redcine which is free and you can try for yourself with readily available raw files.

Although a future separate build, meaning you will have to change firmware out for one or the other, will shoot some of the lower res formats. It has been promised because of some user demand but no date has been set

• Premium Member
4K, 3K, 2K, 1080p, 720p?

I'm most curious if it is doing the lower-res formats. Not every producer I meet wants a 2K workflow.

Thanks!

Also, does it always get the smaller formats by windowing the sensor, which changes your field of view and DOF, or can it downconvert from the whole chip in some cases?

-- J.S.

Also, does it always get the smaller formats by windowing the sensor, which changes your field of view and DOF, or can it downconvert from the whole chip in some cases?

-- J.S.

2k is windowed off the 4K. It is not scaled from the 4k. So yes 2k to 4k or 4k to 2k, DOF and focal length with same lens will change. I assume 3K works the same, I have not used it yet.

You can use redcine to scale to what you like and you can convert your raw footage to codecs and res sizes that exists in your system.

• Premium Member
Although a future separate build, meaning you will have to change firmware out for one or the other, will shoot some of the lower res formats. It has been promised because of some user demand but no date has been set

I'd be curious to see how that develops.

Like I said, most of the work I do presently doesn't need to be shot at 2k, at least not now, so a lower-res format would be great. That said, it would be great to have the same camera with the ability to do the higher resolutions for the projects that could benefit from it.

Perhaps it's too much to want an all-in-one camera.

I'd be curious to see how that develops.

Like I said, most of the work I do presently doesn't need to be shot at 2k, at least not now, so a lower-res format would be great. That said, it would be great to have the same camera with the ability to do the higher resolutions for the projects that could benefit from it.

Perhaps it's too much to want an all-in-one camera.

Two things. The fact that you can shoot 4K and derive any other res size you want makes it great for multiple delivery avenues with the high res always there if you need it. And 2k is really not that much different from 1920x1080, a few pixels difference. Those 2k files might also give you extra room to resize shots or reframe shots for 1080 delivery or 720 delivery. Except for the render times for the at home shooter/editor, I can't see any minuses, yet render times can be fatiguing.

Thats the thing i hope they work on.

• Premium Member

It's the rendering that becomes a problem. If I'm handing off footage to a producer they have to PAY an editor to down-res it. I'm guessing that editor would have to have the Redcine software also.

Do you have any links to hard info about the RED workflow? Not to flame, but it's tedious to sift through all the threads at REDUser and here as well. Too much name calling.

It's the rendering that becomes a problem. If I'm handing off footage to a producer they have to PAY an editor to down-res it. I'm guessing that editor would have to have the Redcine software also.

Do you have any links to hard info about the RED workflow? Not to flame, but it's tedious to sift through all the threads at REDUser and here as well. Too much name calling.

For most people the workflow is the mystery. This flow chart on the RED.com site is the easiest representation of workflow I have seen. There are buttons on the bottom right of the flow chart that explains Final Cut, DI, REdcine, and other NLE workflows:

http://www.red.com/cameras/workflow

And its important to add the free software to your system and keep updated on any issues here:

http://www.red.com/support

And since all RED software is free to all and rd3 raw files are available. You can play with footage at your leisure and see what it takes to get to where you want to go on the system you have.

3k's max fps is 50 using the Red Drive.

I avoid 2k unless I need 75fps+ because of the serious jump in sharpness even with a 2k output.

There are now 4k,3k and 2k Anamorphic aspect ratio's available for those who want to use Anamorphic glass.

Dane Brehm

1st AC / DMT

San Francisco,CA

4k + Raw Consultancy

4krawconsultant@gmail.com