Low Light Situations With Kodak?

I am going to shoot a very low light situation soon and I wanted to get an idea if it will work. I have Kodak 500T 200T and the Vision 3 500T and was wondering in a low light situation which would better to use and why? Also if you think it would be ok to mix them up and use all three. Thanks for any help.

• Premium Member

Simply put, faster ASA film needs less light to be able to get a normal exposure. So either of the 500T stocks will allow you 1-1/3 stop more exposure than 200T, all other things being equal.

The Vision 3 500T stock has the benefit of improved grain structure and color rendering in underexposed areas, compared to the Vision 2. That means that if you underexpose the film or underexpose & push process, you'll be able to recover a better looking image than the same with Vision 2 500T.

To "get an idea if it will work," you use a light meter to see if you've got enough exposure. If your subject reads so far underexposed on your meter that you're not sure it will come out, you just have to test it for yourself.

It's generally best not to mix film stocks in the same scene, because the differences in stocks are most apparent that way. But that depends a lot on what the scene is. It's usually best to change stocks only for different scenes, where the subject matter looks different anyway.