1/3" chip Zoom lens choice-which Focal length to buy?

Paul Zwicker

Hey guys,

New old guy here starting out on his own shooting JVC 200U (unless someone can convince me to buy another camera in that price range).

I only have enough $ to buy one HD zoom lens to start.

Client's will want as much grab and shoot footage as shallow DOP stuff.

Fuji's 13:1 is one choice because it allows for those shots in tight quarters.

Fuji's 17:1 ia another and allows for a shorter DOP.

Has anyone had luck with a wide angle adapter on the 17:1?

Schneider makes a .7 that may be the way to go.

Thoughts? Thanks for all the insights on this site.

Paul Zwicker

• Premium Member

13:1. The 17 will not be useful in small rooms. The difference in DoF with a small room will be minimal. Shoot wide open regardless for shortest DoF look. The camera makes amazing pictures. A few examples of some fashion grabs of mine here:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/hdv.htm

And with the JVC lens adapter you'll make pictures that folks have trouble saying aren't done with cameras ten times the price.

13:1. The 17 will not be useful in small rooms. The difference in DoF with a small room will be minimal. Shoot wide open regardless for shortest DoF look. The camera makes amazing pictures. A few examples of some fashion grabs of mine here:

http://www.bluesky-web.com/hdv.htm

And with the JVC lens adapter you'll make pictures that folks have trouble saying aren't done with cameras ten times the price.

Thanks once again Walter.

I should've been hanging around this forum a long time ago.

• 3 weeks later...
Thanks once again Walter.

I should've been hanging around this forum a long time ago.

I agree with Walter on the 13x3.5. Not only is it the widest 1/3" lens available, but it is probably the highest quality lens. The max focal length is 45mm, which is still quite long on a 1/3" CCD.

Two more thoughts that might help you with your decision:

I shot a low-budget feature with the HD100/13x3.5 and we were in tight locations for 60% of the shoot. I don't think I could have done it without the 3.5mm wide end. See the extended trailer here: http://www.BullTheMovie.com

As for your concern with short DoF.... using longer focal lengths and then moving the camera back does not shorten the DoF. Moving back cancels the significance of the longer focal length. The real effect is that the background is magnified and objects along the Z-axis are compressed. This gives a completely different look, but doesn't shorten the DoF.

If you really want short DoF move your subjects CLOSER to the camera.

Here's a tutorial I prepared on the subject.

• Premium Member

Another thing to bear in mind: 1/3" is diffraction limited at f/4, and the optical block limits the other end at f/1.4. So, that's the range of stops you have without sacrificing resolution.

-- J.S.

• Premium Member
Another thing to bear in mind: 1/3" is diffraction limited at f/4, and the optical block limits the other end at f/1.4. So, that's the range of stops you have without sacrificing resolution.

-- J.S.

Shhh!!! All these folks think they are getting real HD resolution out of these prosumer cameras. :)